Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Kia owners,

I'm wondering what your experience with high mileage Kia Cee'd sw 1.6 CRDi (ED Facelift) year model 2012 is and what to consider when buying one? The total mileage is ~161000 miles (~258000 km). It's been mostly driven to commute for a daily total of 100 km and driven by an upper middle aged man for the past 9 years. Yearly service with receipts from the same workshop. The suspension springs have been recently changed in the front.
I guess I'm mostly considering how well/long the engine runs, turbo, clutch, transmission etc. Essentially the important parts for the car to take me from A to B for a couple of years.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading this!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Well my petrol model 2008 runs just fine, although with 1/2 that milage on it.
check the rear parking brake components for rust and that all the parts move freely as they should. get the car lifted up if not done so and look for rust in all the places that can trap mud and water, Inc. the front subframe, sills, doors front panels. The clutch fork started to squeak on mine, just needed some spray lube in the right place. The exhaust and suspension parts all look pretty robust on this car, more so than alfa romaeo anyway. 100km daily commute is not that many start stops, or cold running hours.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had a 2008 diesel it covered 289000 miles before going to the scrap yard and to be honest it was still in fine condition they are strong cars.
As I remember the turbo went at around 125k miles, water pump needed changing once, battery, it was that good that I bought a 2016 ceed 4 diesel.
The turbos can be repaired so I'm told.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
OP, did you buy the car? I mentioned to check for rust however that's just a standard precaution on any older car. I'm impressed how little rust there is on my soon to be 14 year old Kia. The bodywork is spotless as far as rust goes everywhere. The front sub-frame looks like a typical 24 month old car. Some years back I had an unfounded negative attitude towards Kias after seeing a few with rust spots, however if this 14 year old model driven on salty roads has so little rust then I assume the newer models must be even better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello guys, thank you for the comments!
Yes, we ended up buying the car, which felt great to test drive and has worked well for ~1500 km so far. Really impressed with it so far!
Regarding rust, I have not had the chance to see the car from below, but the top part is in great shape bar from a few stone chips at the front of the hood. The battery was original with ~40% charge left, so I had that replaced.
Previous issues have been that the EGR valve had to be changed at 106k km (65 k miles) which was quite expensive. The AC compressor was changed at 170k km (106k miles). In last two years one of the ball joints was replaced as well as the front suspension springs and anti-roll bar. The handbrake has been adjusted every two years for the last 6 years.
All in all it feels like a well built car!

·
Registered
33 Posts
We bought a three year old ex-fleet 2010 Kia Cee'd 1.6 SW EcoDynamics with circa 80k miles, the car is built like a tank and serviced fully by Kia until 2015, then self-serviced by myself; it's never failed an MoT barring a couple of bulbs. Yes we've had the known issues of AC compressor, and rusty seals on the top of the rear doors (despite twice being repaired under warranty), and finally a new clutch @ 124k miles which was more likely down to the previous fleet driver as it wasn't quite right when we got it.

Other than this, just the normal consumables with two sets of rear pads/discs and front pads, tyres, wipers, bulbs etc. All-in-all it has been the cheapest car I've ever owned. My only complaint was the uphill battles to get warranty items honoured by Kia, if I knew what I knew now I'd probably have saved on the three years Kia servicing, and done it myself earlier and saved another £750.

gtd2000 seems to be clairvoyant as every time he posts a new YouTube video on servicing his Kia Cee'd 1.6 SW EcoDynamics it is time for me to do it on my mine. So kudos to you Sir! 👍 I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose to a high mileage Kia on the strength of mine and many others' experiences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts