Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2010 Sportage XS. Very pleased with it so far, only done 1300 miles. Will be towing a Bailey Sancerre 1435Kg once towbar on. Anybody have towing tips or probs.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Motormickey and welcome, you aint seen nothing yet, wait till its done at least 10 K miles the engine gets better all the time.
Go to the Sportage Section, lots of guys do towing with their Sportage's.

Would suspect diesel engine would be ideal for towing, plenty of low down torque.

Bob.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi parents have sorento and borrowed one day
to take to work, I work in s boat yard and a range rover
got stuck and sucked up water up his exhaust towing boat up
slip way boat weighted 3.5 tonne and I pulled the range
rover and boat and trailer out with not a problem at all you should have
seen there faces sorento is the best on the world good choice of 4x4
hope you enjoy it it will tow the caravan no problem at all .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like I will enjoy driving and towing with the Sportage. Just changed from an X Trail. Good towcar but noisy and getting very expensive to maintain and repair. Sportage is so different much quieter and rides out the bumps better. Biggest thing I have noticed on this site is the small number of complaints. The x trail sites are full of complaints, some very major and frightening. Keep my fingers crossed I get few bills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mickey

Like you I have purchased a Sportage 2008 4x4 manualsome silly isues, for example the steering seem heavy at slow speeds ( starting off ) how's yours.

I'm very pleased so far, just had running boards fitted andthey look really good.
I've got a Bailey Limousin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello RDL
So far mine has been OK. It has only done 1230 miles so nothing untoward has happened. No problems with steering. The X Trail was much heavier on the steering than the Sportage. First drive in Sportage was some very sharp turns !! Still getting used to it. Had Witter towbar fitted yesterday so hope to get van on the back when my wife recovers from a major operation. Will have to check nose weight as X Trail was 100KG nose weight. I think there will be some shifting about of gear. Pleased so far as the ride and quietness is much better. Will let you know when I have towed van.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for coming back.
When I purchased the Kia the thing that attracted me was the low milage 12,300

like you I had a witter tow bar fitted but they did not install the bumper plate to prevent the tow hitch on the trailerfrom colliding with the rear of the kia, at £350 you would think they would have,never mind. I also fitted a drop plate to the tow hitch £7.50 to level the hitch to the ball, work well.

I towed a friends caravan last weekend a Bailey Rangerover 6o miles in Wales that's 30 up and 30 down eventhe straight bits have corners, no problem plenty of power in fact I could not really feel the van behind the kia good all rounder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts