Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all those Nero owners. I do hope any of you help. I have a 2016 Nero First Edition. When first received the car the HEV Battery was at 80% and has never gone any higher. The first winter of 2016/2017. The economy of the car was great at about 60 mpg. All was good through summer 2017. However come winter 2017/2018. The economy dropped to around 45 to 50 mpg. Asked Kia they checked and diagnosed the car, but nothing found. They did vehicle updates. Still the HEV Battery capacity has decreased. Went on holiday to Devon last month on the way back had an Amber engine warning lite. Contacted Kia straight away said could continue home. Took the car in next day for a diagnostic check. Said the 12volt battery was at fault. Although the car was used every day had no problems starting the car. I have my doubts as they kept the car overnight to charge the battery. I am convinced that my HEV Battery is faulty as now the battery will only charge to max 50% and my economy has also dropped aswell. Can anybody help. Regards Luke.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I think as your battery is 6+ years old it could well be on its way out,that is also your reason why your fuel consumption has increased due to the battery not running the vehicle,it is using petrol,I would suggest KIA check both batteries,not just the 12v one.

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

HEV battery never seems to go to 100% or drop below 40%.
If yours is just sticking around 50% then I would think something is wrong.

Best way to check yourself is get a OBD2 dongle & Car Scanner. You can set it to monitor a lot of battery status. At least then you have something to point the dealer at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think as your battery is 6+ years old it could well be on its way out,that is also your reason why your fuel consumption has increased due to the battery not running the vehicle,it is using petrol,I would suggest KIA check both batteries,not just the 12v one.
I have been complaining about my HEV Battery since beginning of 2018. Even sent a letter to the CEO of KIA UK. Was told to refer contact my nearest KIA Dealer HENDY Ferndown. Which I had done on many other occasions. Have been told HEV Battery is fine and checked on diagnostic yet am still convinced there is a problem and am sure the Amber engine warning lite coming on during my holiday away was due to the HEV Battery. My question is why would the 12v battery be a problem if was starting the car never a problem. I also did not have an issue with the Amber engine warning lite when the 12v battery discharged down whilst the car was not been used during lock down. I am convinced i am been fobbed of. Are probably adamant not to change the battery due to expense on there part as car is still under warranty until September 2023.My question what more can I do?.

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
Well it would be covered under warranty
Electric (EV) and Hybrid Vehicles
Kia covers the components of the EV and Hybrid vehicles for unlimited mileage up to 36 months, and for 100,000 miles between 37 and 84 months, from the date of first registration.

This specifically covers the following items not fitted to our standard car range:

Hybrid Systems (HEV & PHEV)
Battery Pack
Hybrid Starter and Generator
Hybrid Power Control Unit
Auto Transmission & Traction Motor (including housing case, clutch and all internal parts)
I would try another dealer.

Also look at my suggestion as a way of proving the point. As per below pictures.

Light Black Font Line Circle

Car Vehicle Automotive design Steering part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated. Yes I think I will try the Dongle and scanner. Looks like a good way to get the dealership to take notice. My question how do I get hold of a scanner and dongle. Also how does it work. Does it connect somehow to the car system. Please if you could explain as I am new to all this. Once again thank so much for your help. Await to hear from you soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ps. What model scanner are you using in your pictures. Also could you recommend a obd2 dongle and car scanner. All this tech stuff is new to me just a novice.

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
Car Scanner

My OBD2 dongle is old. Can't remember when I got it and it was cheap.
Have a look on Amazon or Ebay for them.
They just plug into the port where the fuse box is by your right knee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much for your help. It is sooo appreciated. Will look into dongles. Have installed the Elm app on my phone
I will let you know how I get on. Again thank's for the help you have given me
Hopefully will get this sorted out with KIA before warranty runs out September 2023. Best Regards. ridgeback76.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts