Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 months its been sittin in my driveway!! it started heating up so new diesel pump fitted...now it only starts with easy start, then sucks and blows when driven..loads of black smoke..Diagnostic reads fuel preasure is ok 1.3! Was told it needed a possible fuel gaffer/fuel boss?? anyone heard of it? any good mechanic near glasgow? only 42000 miles done..

·
Registered
399 Posts
You mention started heating up? did you mean started first time when warm? if so, what made you decide to change the pump?? checking injectors would have been a better and cheaper bet. You also mention easy start, If anyone asked me I always replied DONT! but at the end of the day its their own choice.

Reply to dmc, there is no timing for the high pressure pump, because it supply's a common rail which in turn supplies the 4 injectors which have high pressure fuel waiting to be injected at the crucial time, controlled by the management system. Therefore the high pressure fuel pump is just that, unlike the earlier fuel injector pumps which had four individual injector pipes feeding the injectors, timing WAS crucial on them.
Edited by: MININUT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2004/ 42000 miles... one day it started to overheat ...after about 5 miles the temp guage would go off the scale. after a cool down it would start again and after a drive , again the temp went mental.. my garage done a diagnostic. High presure fuel pump theysay. Aftermarket part ;guys put it in, but now it wont start.. I used the garage for years so the charge was minor. The garge started it with some kind of spray(not easystart) as they also are against it!! So I am driving it home ...no overheating...but loss of power and tons of black smoke..sucking and farting all the way home, here it been ever since! Had another diagnostic done by a Glasgow mobile guy. Fuel presure is good, injectors seem ok but mentioned a possible fault with the " fuel gaffer or fuel boss". I have never heard of it/ or had he..anyway he looked into it and has quoted £250 quid! Anyone heard of this one?

·
Registered
662 Posts
seriously confused

overheating has nothing to do with the high pressure fuel pump if the car started ok before the garage messed with it i would go back and ask them to put the old pump back on

"CHARGE WAS MINOR" well if they fitted a new HP pump the charge would not be minor and if they fitted a second hand unit then thats probably your issue

" fuel gaffer or fuel boss". this must be some kind of Scottish slang like messages being shopping as i have no clue what he's on about

personaly i would ask both parties for my money back as they have not cured or diagnosed either issue and the first garage has made the car worse then take it to a Kia garage ask them to diagnose the problem and supply print outs of the issue and then contact you with costs to repair diagnostic should be about £45-£55 and you have already probably paid that two two messers

sorry i cant suggest more but you need to have a confirmed diagnostic

·
Registered
399 Posts
I quite agree with Viking Paul. First of all (sorry not being picky) any kind of spray that helps an engine start has all the ingredients of easy start, otherwise itwouldn'tmake the engine knock in pain whilst being cranked. Secondly, you mention that the engine behaved quite differently before and after changing the high pressure fuel pump? The pump might well be the problem, but like was said, the price you paid was way too cheap to suggest that a decent pump was fitted.The only way now is to find yourself a decent mechanic, it's a lot cheaper in the end mate, I dosympathiewith you

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Reply to dmc, there is no timing for the high pressure pump, because it supply's a common rail which in turn supplies the 4 injectors which have high pressure fuel waiting to be injected at the crucial time, controlled by the management system. Therefore the high pressure fuel pump is just that, unlike the earlier fuel injector pumps which had four individual injector pipes feeding the injectors, timing WAS crucial on them.
[/QUOTE]

there is a timing mark for the pump so its there for a reason to time the pump

there is sensors in the pump.

the mondeo and transit enginehas the same style of pump and needs timing or cause's the same problem for starting.

if it didnt need timing it would be like the hdi like on the peugeot and some early freelander that have high preasure pumps.

these have no timing marks and can put these where you like pump wise and it will still start.

as said it has a timing mark so it needs setting to that mark.

·
Registered
399 Posts
dmc said:

there is a timing mark for the pump so its there for a reason to time the pump

there is sensors in the pump.

the mondeo and transit enginehas the same style of pump and needs timing or cause's the same problem for starting.

if it didnt need timing it would be like the hdi like on the peugeot and some early freelander that have high preasure pumps.

these have no timing marks and can put these where you like pump wise and it will still start.

as said it has a timing mark so it needs setting to that mark.

yes there might be a timing mark "sorry" only on some. The sensors you mention is a valve for the electrical system to regulate the pressure required by the common rail. All the sensors on the engine give the ecu info, temp, speed timing etc, this info is used to calculate the necessary voltage to send to the valve on the pump body, the faster or greater the load the highest the pressure and vice versa. Timing of this pump has no relevance to the running of the engine.
[/QUOTE]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts