Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Recently purchased a mint condition 2005 Sportage Crdi here in central America. Unfortunately, the CRDi version of the sportage never made it to North America, hence there is very very little information . To add insult to injury, the manual is in Korean .

My question is, which oil should I be using? 15w40? 10w40? Synthetic i am assuming. Mechanical shops down here are not reliable sources of information, however this forum seems to be a better bet !

I also have no idea if my vehicle has a diesel particulate filter or not, as i guess that seems to matter as well. All help is much appreciated .

Thanks !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Phil. I was more curious with regards to which brand is most recommended ! I heard " Helix " by Shell was good. What gets used most over there ?

In addition, i was finally able to translate a few parts of the manual, and no immediate conclusion was drawn on which oil type was best. Simply needed to meet certain specs, which is why that PDF you referenced me too just causes more confusion.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Doubt if it has DPF as these were starting to be fitted from 2008. In Europe and UK models. I have had diesel Kias & Hyundais for last 20 years and always used Shell Helix oil as recommended by makers.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Doubt if it has DPF as these were starting to be fitted from 2008. In Europe and UK models. I have had diesel Kias & Hyundais for last 20 years and always used Shell Helix oil as recommended by makers.
Personally I have seen dealers use what they think best.. some have indeed used shell while others use Total oils who are a subsidiary of Elf.. wouldnt mind betting that some other even use a different oil entirely.. I personally use Elf in my Venga and my son's ix20..

·
Registered
451 Posts
You 'probably' do not have a DPF - but it is easy enough to look under the car to visually check for one,iirc it looks like a silencer/exhaust box with a couple of small pipes running in/out of it (easy enough to find a pic online).
Any good quality diesel engine oil of the correct spec would be fine to use,I use 5w40 fully synth but I guess in a warmer climate you would be looking at 10w40/15w40 fully synth.
We have a 2008 crdi sportage and my owners manual seems to suggest API CH-4/ACEA B4 for non DPF engines.
And ACEA C3 for DPF engines.
I usually buy whatever is a good price for ours but always a good quality 'make' of oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You 'probably' do not have a DPF - but it is easy enough to look under the car to visually check for one,iirc it looks like a silencer/exhaust box with a couple of small pipes running in/out of it (easy enough to find a pic online).
Any good quality diesel engine oil of the correct spec would be fine to use,I use 5w40 fully synth but I guess in a warmer climate you would be looking at 10w40/15w40 fully synth.
We have a 2008 crdi sportage and my owners manual seems to suggest API CH-4/ACEA B4 for non DPF engines.
And ACEA C3 for DPF engines.
I usually buy whatever is a good price for ours but always a good quality 'make' of oil.

Awesome thanks for the help. I don't think I have a DPF, i think it's just a cat converter . Seems to be the only 'B4' oil i can find is s castrol which i guess is not bad, considering they just wanted to throw what ever in there. Too bad there isn't a Shell Helix product down here ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts