Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 plate, some months after buying it we noticed what we thought was a slipping clutch. When changing down and putting your foot down to accelerate, the car would appear to jump out of gear as the revs would fly up, though once they dropped it would return to normal.
Initially I put it down to my wife's foot position as she appeared to hang over the clutch. However it was happening to me too and my foot was certainly not on or near to it.
The garage, despite warranty, give the expected wear and tear line and want a small fortune to replace the clutch. It can't be the clutch surely?
We've had it just over 2 years with one previous owner.

I noticed that the rev counter showed the engine would hold onto the revs after releasing the accelerator but is that a red herring?

Finally just today my wife tells me she was doing 60 in 6th gear, and found the car wouldn't go any faster when she put her foot down and then over revved to 6k. She noticed a chronic burning smell coming from the back of the vehicle.
It seems to be worse in the colder, wetter weather, could this be related to the AWD system when traction on the road decreases? Or is that another red herring.
The car had it's third annual service last week and has NEVER entered this limp mode before with this over revving issue.
All suggestions gratefully received as out local garage will just want to charge and with lockdown on the way we have limited options.

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Agree with above post, but have you got a fault code reading. Without this you are guessing as to the problem.
If the sensor on the top of the accelerator pedal goes faulty this can cause sudden over revving and also go the opposite way and put into limp mode. If this fails it is a complete pedal replacement.

Reactions: Indalo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is most likely the clutch. Why do you think it can't be?
Neither my wife nor I have ever burnt out a clutch after 2 years of driving a car. If the clutch has gone in three years the car is a pile of toot and shouldn't have come off the conveyor. It could be a manufacturing fault with it though, however we'll only know that after they've taken the gearbox apart.....not a cheap job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with above post, but have you got a fault code reading. Without this you are guessing as to the problem.
If the sensor on the top of the accelerator pedal goes faulty this can cause sudden over revving and also go the opposite way and put into limp mode. If this fails it is a complete pedal replacement.
The car will go to the garage as soon as possible, for now they've asked me to give it a good run to blow any deposits out as they want to rule out the DPF, I see I didn't mention we have a diesel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts