Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I hope someone can advise my husband was driving my car yesterday while he was driving the power steering went the steering wheel locked would not move how on earth he managed to get to pull over is beggers believe, no waning lights came on at all RAC RAC attend and he too was very confused as to what had happened, all things checked did a diagnosis and nothing came through its now with kia,and I am awaiting they said the same but yet how can the power steering just stop where u cannot physical move the wheel has this happened to anyone else I have a 67 plate under 30,000 miles petrol it just had MOT last Monday last week n seviced in November

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,408 Posts
It sounds like a sudden failure of the Electronic Power Steering system, which has failed without warning. Symptoms similar to what your husband experienced are described in the manual, Section 4, although I am surprised there was no warning light. It does sound scary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like a sudden failure of the Electronic Power Steering system, which has failed without warning. Symptoms similar to what your husband experienced are described in the manual, Section 4, although I am surprised there was no warning light. It does sound scary.
Hi thank you I now have it back it's been with the dealership all day they could not find anything wrong they charged the battery althouth it read as a good battery they gave it a extra charge .saying sometimes when battery losses power the first thing to go us power steering, if I am honest I was very nervous driving it back home 🙆

all-day

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi I hope someone can advise my husband was driving my car yesterday while he was driving the power steering went the steering wheel locked would not move how on earth he managed to get to pull over is beggers believe
Find that very hard to believe. A car should steer without the power steering working, it will be very heavy but it will work.

But if you feel that it actually locked I think you should be contacting the DVSA as this is a serious safety issue that could potentially affect many cars. It possible other may have reported such a fault so get it logged.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm with Back again, it sounds like you have been fobbed off. I've had batteries fail and charging systems malfunction on previous cars. On none of them did the steering fail. I'd also suggest that any manufacturer that allowed the steering to fail as the first symptom of battery fatigue, should be asked some pointed questions about safety.

When you say locked up, do you mean like the steering lock or just very hard to steer? Either way, I'd want more from the dealer than a battery top up.

·
Registered
815 Posts
saying sometimes when battery losses power the first thing to go us power steering,
??? When the engine is running and the car in motion??? Balder and Dash are words that come to mind.

I think I'd be asking for a fuller explanation - or changing my garage. The concept that electric power steering can suddenly lock up, while the engine is running and the car in motion, is very scary and darn right dangerous. I can't even conceive that this would even pass a risk analysis at the design stage never mind safety assessment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to contact kia again in the morning and will say I will contact DVSA its been with TMS Leicester all day, and this is what was said to me therefore you put your trust in a main dealership after reading all of these reply I am more worried now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all I can do is contact them in the morning, and raise my consurns I do feel like ive been fobbed off thats why i joined here for extra advise I wouldn't mind but I need my car without it I cannot work and with that said, I dont know much about cars to say the least , so put my trust in the dealership

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am going to contact kia again in the morning and will say I will contact DVSA its been with TMS Leicester all day, and this is what was said to me therefore you put your trust in a main dealership after reading all of these reply I am more worried now
".....therefore you put your trust in a main dealership....."

That may be the issue :)

I have a friend in the motor trade whose usual observation is "Never trust the muppets that the Service Dept. lets loose on your car - always question and check" - he speaks the truth as he was one of the muppets in his earlier days LOL .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi thank you I now have it back it's been with the dealership all day they could not find anything wrong they charged the battery althouth it read as a good battery they gave it a extra charge .saying sometimes when battery losses power the first thing to go us power steering
That's the biggest load of "fob you off" BS I have heard in a long time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Loss of PAS would feel like the wheel was locking up, especially if you have wide tyres and a modern smaller steering wheel - really very difficult to move especially if it happens suddenly without expecting it. I had an old fiesta with an aging belt that would take a few minutes to warm up before the belt really took hold, almost impossible to steer and that had tiny tyres and overall was a lighter car. Just switch your car on without starting it and try to move the wheel, then start it for a comparison (yes, I realise it's stationary). Is it possible something (oil) is leaking/has leaked onto the power steering belt and caused it to slip/belt is loose or significantly worn? I'd imagine the AA guy would have looked at this first though.

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
43 Posts
Loss of PAS would feel like the wheel was locking up, especially if you have wide tyres and a modern smaller steering wheel - really very difficult to move especially if it happens suddenly without expecting it. I had an old fiesta with an aging belt that would take a few minutes to warm up before the belt really took hold, almost impossible to steer and that had tiny tyres and overall was a lighter car. Just switch your car on without starting it and try to move the wheel, then start it for a comparison (yes, I realise it's stationary). Is it possible something (oil) is leaking/has leaked onto the power steering belt and caused it to slip/belt is loose or significantly worn? I'd imagine the AA guy would have looked at this first though.
Steering is electrical not hydraulic, although your comments about the steering being usable without assistance is a very good point.
I have been in the same situation on another car where the power steering failed, it is really difficult to steer in a car that is designed with assisted steering that isn't assisted.

·
Registered
348 Posts
All steering is designed "Fail Safe" if the power assistance fails you can still steer although it becomes a lot harder !! there is still a mechanical link between the steering wheel and road wheels. the faster you go the easier it is to turn the wheel although this seems to go against good sense. the driver is the weak link if they dont have enough strength or most likely confidence to try to turn the wheel. You might not be able to do figure of 8 maneuvers but you should be able to get to the side of the road/next layby safely So dont Panic.

·
Registered
815 Posts
All steering is designed "Fail Safe" if the power assistance fails you can still steer although it becomes a lot harder !!

So dont Panic.
I agree the steering should be 'failsafe' so that loss of power assistance still allows the steering to be operated. The OP however reported "...the steering wheel locked would not move ......" If that is fact then some serious questions need to be answered. While it may have been a misunderstanding by the OP's husband it clearly caused panic.

Is there a potential for a failure of the electric steering to result in the motor working against the driver as opposed being 'disengaged'? e.g. driver trying to turn wheel left and steering sensors saying power right. In that case you would be turning not against the tyre/road resistance but a powerful electric motor.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
As noublue said, If the electrical PS is not working then it feels like it is locked but the application of sufficient force will allow steering to work, It is a LOT more force than you might expect.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It all comes down to words/description of the fault by the driver ie disengaged or as you say the motor working against you.
So when the mechanic trys to find the fault which isnt present he is totally relying on the description given by a driver who understandably was in a state of panic when the fault occured.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts