Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a crdi auto which won't start! anybody with access to a wiring diagram out there?
thanks....

·
Registered
283 Posts
You can register online and get the full workshop manual here;

http://www.kia-hotline.com/

Its basically a wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid on the starter but don't forget there is an inhibitor switch on the gearbox so you can only start it in park.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I've got feed to the starter relay, but the other side of the relay which would normally go to earth doesn't-where does this wire go to?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Probably to the inhibitor switch. Have you tried a 12v feed to the starter solenoid (making sure it is Park)? The inhibitor switch will be either on the gearbox or on the gear linkage - maybe at the bottom of the gear stick. You could get it going by running a temp feed to the sloenoid but you should only do that as a get you going method until you reinstate that inhibitor.

I will look at my wiring diagrams and come back but it might be this evening.
Edited by: anchorman

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've found the instructions for the inhibitor. It lives under the control cable bracket end on the gearbox and has a 10 pole connector. Make sure the switch is tight and the contacts are clean.
If you pm me with your email address I will send you some pages from the manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Soul went into a fresh water ditch at very low speed,(NSF only)water level up to the top of the battery, but was pulled out very quickly, with no damage at all. Air box was drained to ensure no water ingress, and injectors removed & cylinders inspected. Initially the immobiliser light was on, but the local Kia dealerinterrogated this by OBD diagnostics and found no faults.

All connections are clean and dry, both starter and fuel relays are switched with full 12v at the correct key position,but both relay return wires that you would assume to go to earth are open circuit- it would be nice to see a wiring diagram to confirm where they go to.
If I bypass the start relay the engine cranks fine, and the starter relay only energises in p or d. Any ideas?

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
no negative at the relay? It's the only place you should check. Fix this, if it still doesn't work, search further (relays)...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Be careful because sometimes the circuits are made on the earth side and you could override a safety feature by hard wiring an earth.
I have pm'd you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Having read the full story above I will look at the wiring diagram if I've got it - later!

·
Registered
283 Posts
The earth wire goes through the burglar alarm and then to the inhibitor as shown here;

·
Registered
283 Posts
When I go into the diagrams it has come back with one option - a plain old earth via the inhibitor switch;

Find the earth on that plug near the gear cable. Run it to ground on the body and see if it starts. If so, take the switch off, fill it with WD40 and try again. Its probably had water in it.

EDIT switch is here;

Edited by: anchorman

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Anchorman-there is no circuit between the -ve coil on the start relay and any pin on the plug on the inhibitor switch, so either a wire break, or there is a burglar alarm relay-how do we find out if the burglar alarm relay is fitted to this one?

PS-couldn't open that last diagram-could you resend it please (pic was ok)

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't think there is. Mine has an immobiliser but no alarm.

If you connect that -ve to earth, does it start?

There are 2attachments in the post above. One is a wiring diagram and one is a photo of the top of the gearbox showing the inhibitor switch. What can't you see?

The wiring diagram shows the starterrelay wired directly to the inhibitor switch with no alarm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts