Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner has put petrol in my diesel Sedona she put about 14 litres unleaded in before realising then filled it up with diesel. She then drove it home no worries. However i am extremely worried! what should I do? Please someone answer thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
Drain it, fresh diesel new filter and pray.
Delphi system hates anything but nice clean diesel, the bosch system on other kias is much stronger and will tolerate a little abuse from petrol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks murphwiz its a 2005 sedona any idea which system it would have? Really panicking reading some horror stories online about crdi engines being totally f***ed by this. Hoping the petrol is floating nicely on the top and hasnt been used at all yet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting the tank drained etc on Monday but if this is gonna be something thats gonna bite us in the ass Im gonna seriously think about trading in the Sedona am I just overreacting here or is this worse case scenario gonna cost more than the cars worth to fix?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanks,
Murphwizwhat do you reckonthis could end upcosting me?Do you think its worth taking a chance draining the tank and seeing how it goes or getting rid while i can? About how long before the car shows signs of being seriously affected by this?

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
if it was me id keep filling it up with diesel every time you use any that will help to thin it out the engine will burn the petrol it would be a diffrent case if it was diesel in a petrol car .

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The problem with petrol in the diesel is that it may affect the seals in the injection pump. 14 litres is alot in the tank thats got to be about 20% of a full tank.
I would drain tank and renew fuel filter so that the petrol to diesel is reduced as much as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts