Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello iam a new meber tonight could any body help ive bought a set of the audi type strip lights for the front of my 2006 serdona 2,9 auto diesil now what i need to know do i have to disconect the battery to cut into side lights for the strip lights regards brian

·
Registered
144 Posts
brian180254 said:
hello iam a new meber tonight could any body help ive bought a set of the audi type strip lights for the front of my 2006 serdona 2,9 auto diesil now what i need to know do i have to disconect the battery to cut into side lights for the strip lights regards brian

Firstly check on the legalities of your lights, I dont think they can Emit more than 1000 candelas or something. Also ensure they are inside of your sidelights.

Secondly, do i need to disconnect the battery to cut into electrical cable??? Now there is a question! Unless you are planning to make the cut with a plastic playdoh knife, I would recommend disconnecting the battery yes.

Thirdly, why oh why do you want to fit ****er lights to your car?? They look stupid, lower your fuel consumption and may raise the cost of your insurance. If you declare them if not they will invalidate your insurance. If you want to barry up your motor thats your choice, but I would leave them in the packet and take em back to the shop that sold em to you.

Not meaning to come across as an a**hole, I think I have been on PH too long eh Merphwiz?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello who ever that kia ph is hes talking s t how does xtra lights increase your fueil bill and has for insurance lights are lights not a bull bar etc

·
Registered
887 Posts
You do not need to disconnect the battery, you'll be fine,
The ph nsmith refers to is another car forum that appears to be full of people way to far up there own backsides than is strictly healthy.
The lights will be a non std mod, which 'should' be declared to your insurance as a material fact, only you can make that decision, there is a risk in the event of a claim that you 'could' invalidate your insurance, after all they are only interested in NOT paying out!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lights of any description increase load on the battery, which means the altinator has to work harder to replenish the charge. The ultinator is driven by the engine, hence MARGINALLY reduced economy.

Any non standardspec needs to be declared to the insurance, because it may affect the cost of repair in the event of an accident. If you do not declare all MATERIAL FACTS relating to the insurance, and adjust the recorded value due to the options, e.g. the INSUREABLE RISK, the insurer can refuse payout, even if the mod is on the front and the damage is on the rear, because you breached the principal of UTMOST GOOD FAITH. In insurance you are required to give all relivant info, the burden is on you, not the insurer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good response NS, especially oninsurance risk. Am not sure aboutyour 'ultinator' though???!!! Diesels have bigger batteries so a little extra lighting will not be too much of a burden on the alternator. They work much harder in winter anyway. Interested in the PH you share with Wiz.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The reason diesels have bigger battieries is that they are harder to start and require more juice!

As for PH its Pistonheads.com a car news and reviews site. Loads and loadsa people on it, very petrolhead place to be, but it can get very opinionated at times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi stu pid thanks for your reply some people just dont get it the reson i asked about disconecting the battery was because it works like the power in the house if the swicth is off you can touch the wires but if its on you carnt so its logical that if the car lights are not on the side light wireings dead untill you turn on the lights but my concern was that if i disconect the battery would it cause a problem to the on board computor but it did not the lights are on and looking good but i dont think the insurance wont to know about them they will think i amslow or some thing thanks any way stu pid

·
Registered
144 Posts
No need to be offensive. I am neither stupid or an electrical ignoramus.

Disconnecting the battery will cause no damage to a car, if it did you would not be able to do it.

You have a duty under the terms of your insuranceto inform them of any modifications to the vehicle as it may affect your premium. I would assume in this case, as you have made the vehicle more visable, it will have a good effect on the premium. However the principal of UTMOST GOOD FAITH applies after the formation of a policy as well as before. This means it is your duty and requirement to notify the insurance company of any changes to the vehicle.

Fraud in any way when in an insurance policy is an excuse for the insurance to refuse payout. I know that it is not your intention to commit fraud, however, not notifying the insurance company of an alteration to the subject matter of the insurance, in this case the car, is considered fraud regardless of intent and the insurer reserves the right to refuse payout. Im just trying to help you out here, and trust me, I am right, I just reacreddited with regards to insurance laws and procedures yesterday.

Nick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Brian. Thks for your response. I can understand some of your frustrations. Both NS and Wiz are correct in their responses, given the situation of "Cutting into the sidelight circuit and taking a spur for your strip lights". The sidelights of a car only come on if the switch is turned on. So unless you are working with the sidelights on, you do not have to disconnect the battery. I, from experience tend to disconnect the battery. For me it is safer. There are pros and cons either way. Find out what resettings you have to perform before you disconnect, pin numbers etc. Modern cars have a lot of components that aresusceptible to static charges, and you could damage components and software settings. Some cars have a 'memory keeper' which you plug into the cigarete lighter to so that the car systems can be reset.

I defer in terms of burden on the alternator and battery loads. I believe the strip lights you refer to are LEDs. As such their power consumption is low, and load effect is not a biggy problem.

I would pay great heed to the advice on insurance.I accept there are many grey areas, but you should clear any out of specificationchanges you make to your vehiclewith yourinsurers, otherwise you are not insured to drive your vehicle.

Please accept this note in the sincerity that it is given.... Steward

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi Brian

remember to only cut the blue wire as its always the red one that makes the bomb go off!

use the halfords scotchloc's they are the quality ones that rust first !

make sure your choice of accessory lighting has that blue tinge the type the police love to stop you and admire

and always connect your lights with the smallest thinest wire available this helps keep you and your car warm by the road side

best of new year wishes to you and here's hoping you get aPC with a spell checker next year for Christmas

·
Registered
21 Posts
On about lights...

What do you think of the audi day time driving lights they fit these days?

John

Edited by: seroxatmad

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old post, and most folks may already know this, but I didn't and am a reasonably intelligent person ( I own a Kia after all !! )

If you get some points on your license, or any person named on the policy does so, you are also obliged to inform your insurers. Same principles apply, your obligation, change of material facts etc etc.

Insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay out or reduce paymentsif poss.

S

1 - 14 of 14 Posts