Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am hoping someone on here can help?!

I am trying to change the rear pads on my carens diesel - caliper of, & trying to wind back the piston but keep having the same problem..

I ( think) the piston is winding back ( seems hard, then gives..bleed nipple loosened) and I have enough room to get theinside pad in but then cantlever the caliper back over enough to get theoutside pad in, so turn in the piston...get outside pad in..cant get inside one in

Iam clearly doing somthing wrong but most of yesterday & this morning outside in the sleet has driven me a little brain dead..

PLEASE HELP - IDIOTS STEP BY STEP GUIDE REQUIRED ASAP
THANKS.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I am not familiar with the carens but how does the hand brake operate.Does it work on the pads or is there a drum. If it works on the pads you will need a special wind back tool

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying.

Iam not sure to be honest. There is a drum thst the disc surrounds..

Thinking about it, the handbrake mech is attached to the caliper unit, so does this point to pads = 'special' wind back tool?! if so whats 'special' about it?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
See the two pins that the caliper slides on are they free to move in and out over their entire range. These pins normally seize up and wont allow the caliper to move in and out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes.
And that enables the inner pad enough room. The difficulty is then prying the caliper back out to get enough space for the outer pad..it just doesnt return far enough & if I retrace my steps with the piston, Iam back to square one!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
without seeing it I cant say much more. If the piston goes all the way back into the caliper and the slide pins are free to move then the pads should fit no problem. There was a change in calipers after 06 and they went to a set of inboard shoes for the handbrake.
The pads for yours are sized at 98 x 41 x 15 and the later ones are 100 x 44 x 15. I take it you have the exact same pads you took out. The are slightly different shaped

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes pads match.

I appreciate your help so far, thank you.

One last question - it seems that when I wind the piston in as far as I can, I then can't get the slide pins to come back enough to get the other pad in, although they do come back. Does the piston dictate their travel, as this is what appears to be happening?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Been off forum just picked up .The wind back tool has two small pins which locate in piston to turn piston as you wind in .When the piston is right back flush with the housing pads should go in ok .If the piston has gone tight release the tool pressure and squirt some wd40roundpiston and try again.Piston must go right back in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Davy - yes , within 1mm..

Birdman - ok, thanks.

I see what you both mean about maximum depth for the pad closest to the piston top, thats ok - its tha fact the outer section that holds the other pad tracks back towards the piston & leaves me no room to fit the pad.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Have you took the bolts out of the end of the pins so thatcallipercomes away.Locate pads incalliper, putcalliperback with pads each side of disc then put bolts back in pins and tighten

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok ok, now Iam getting a bit ( more) confused..Birdman, are you talking about the two bolts that hold the whole caliper & piston unit to the back of the disc or the 2 'pins' that hold the carrier section that slide back & forth, what davy called the'slide pins' about 3 msgs ago?!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
The two pins, if you slide the rubber back there isusuallya hexagon you can put spanner on to stop them turning while you undo the bolts holding them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts