Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2007
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have just purchased a 2007 kia sorento xt, manual transmission , I've never owned a kia before and know nothing about them, my question is the handbook says it has a 2hi gear ratio on the knob where you can transfer to two wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, the knob on mine has only got auto 4x4 or low, does this mean it's got permanent 4 wheel drive and can't be switched to 2 wheel drive.
Amy information would be gladly appreciated.

·
Registered
'05 Sorento xse auto
857 Posts
Your XT has a grey knob below the ignition with 2 positions..it should remain in 'auto' for all driving unless you go off road or in slippy conditions....the 4 wheels are linked via the borg warner transfer case which contains a magnetic clutch...it is most important that all 4 tyres are of the same make,tread pattern and tread wear as the sensors in the transfer case will detect this and engage the 4wd via the magnetic clutch?.....if you want to try it? make sure you are stationary and in neutral before turning the switch to 'low'..the green 4wd light will flash and then go 'solid'.... you should also feel a slight 'clunk'....it's a good system but as I've explained is very easily abused?...the oil in the TC is special containing a 'friction modifier'? you should check the level and change it if at all discoloured?....Lots of info on this forum about the 'torque on demand' transfer case..any questions just ask?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts