Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i am hoping someone can shed some light on a problem i am having with my sorento v6 and its ongoing handbrake problem. now i know this should be a simple enough fix but i am very confused

first new something was wrong when it felt like i had square wheels fitted to my car, when i checked the brake discs the passenger rear disc was hot enough to fry an egg!! all the others where resonably cool. i should point out that for the last 6 months i have had a poor handbrake about 10 clicks and the car still rolls away (not good but its an auto so i rely on parking gear).

i adjusted the cable at the rear of the car to the point where there is no more adjustment and it helped a bit but still didnt cure the problem with the car rolling.

so now even more confused i removed the rear discs/drums and found what looks like an adjuster for the shoes that operate the handbrake, i slackened off the cable and adjusted the new adjuster that i found. when i started this i noticed there was two threads showing so i increased it to three threads replaced the discs and adjusted the cable so my handbrake was up to 5 clicks. this appeared to work as it was locking both rear wheels at about 4 to 5 clicks. next day i drove to work got to about 50 mph and thought i was about to lose a wheel or two as they had locked up completely.

strange thing is when i put the handbrake on it was holding a little bit but when i release the handbrake they remain locked on, but if i phsically pull the cable under the car they release.

starting to think there must be another adjuster and the thing i was adjusting has nothing to do with the handbrake

i have now had the discs back off and wound in these adjusters back to 2 threads again and slackened the cable right off so i can use the car but my mot is due next week so i need to fix it.

any info on this would be gratefully recieved as i am running out of ideas!!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Theres the adjustment on each wheel, adjuster on the axle, and adjuster on the handbrake lever, does sound like there are adjusted ok.
However, I've seen loads with seized pivots on the axle, remove the pivot, it's only a silly bush in there, clean and coat with copper grease, and make sure when you put it back on it moves nice and free with virtually no resistance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for the info. Would i be right in thinking that the adjuster on each wheel is the one that i have already been playing with (lives between the two shoes). The one im not sure of is the one on the axle. Would you know how i can locate this? Is it wheel off and disc off again?

Regards

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes the shoe adjustemnt is the prefered method, as the axle adjuster will often snap!
You can't miss it, cable runs along the back of the rear axle, the pivot unit is on the drievers side, this almost certainly will be seized.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts