Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guysJust a quick question on car maintenance. I have noticed just this afternoon that the engine management light has come on the dash board. I have done research and found that one possible cause of this is that I have ran the car with too little fuel. It has been suggested that I use Redex, have any of you guys used this? If this is advisable, how do I use it? Do I simply put it in the fuel tank via the filling cap?

Sorry for basic questions. I'm a relatively new driver.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

It could be a whole range of things as there are all sorts of sensors and any one of them could make the light come on. The first thing I would check is the upper oxygen sensor on the exhaust. The cable for it runs very close to the radiator fan and it's not well secured in place. Check that the fan hasn't chopped its way through the cable. This sensor has a massive impact on the whole engine management system and if the cable is cut, none of the other sensors will seem to give proper values...although the car will still run fine!!

If that's ok, then you really need to buy/borrow a code reader to plug into the car to find out what the fault code is. That will tell you what the onboard computer thinks the problem is. Oxygen sensors are are common problem on this car, there are 2, one before and one after the catalyst.

Good luck!
Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!Thanks for your help... It was a simple fix after all, I was advised to use Redex in the fuel, it cleared the Job and has made the car more efficient! :p It seemed some of the carbon rubbish from the fuel was sucked into the system from the one time I ran it too the ground. Seems to be working fine now though!
Thanks any way!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Interesting...you might want to change the fuel filter after a couple of tank fulls. How many miles has your Rio done?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Mine's just got to 80,000 so will need a fuel filter change, that was on the schedule the last time I looked. I don't have the book with me, but it probably needs changing every 2 to 3 years (20,000 to 30,000 miles) so unless you've got any history to say it's been changed recently, I would change the filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts