Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My father in law been out today in his 52 Sedona 2.9crdi Auto and the longer alternator drive belt has broken which in turn threw off the smaller power steering belt. He managed to find the broken belts which have part numbers on - so hopefully will be able to get replacements tomorrow and refit them. I've had a quick look a short while ago the shorter belt looks simple enough but I'm not sure of the routing of the big one. Have a manual on CD but this only covers the 3.5 V6 engine which no doubt will be different.

Can anyone help with the routing of the larger alternator belt and which pulley is the tensioner -a sketch would be very useful - If it could go to me at my email address [email protected]I would be obliged.
Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
702 Posts
alcutler said:
Hi, My father in law been out today in his 52 Sedona 2.9crdi Auto and the longer alternator drive belt has broken which in turn threw off the smaller power steering belt. He managed to find the broken belts which have part numbers on - so hopefully will be able to get replacements tomorrow and refit them. I've had a quick look a short while ago the shorter belt looks simple enough but I'm not sure of the routing of the big one. Have a manual on CD but this only covers the 3.5 V6 engine which no doubt will be different.

Can anyone help with the routing of the larger alternator belt and which pulley is the tensioner -a sketch would be very useful - If it could go to me at my email address [email protected]I would be obliged.
Thanks in anticipation
Hi
Have sent a scan from the manual for the 2.9 Diesel to your email address.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bruno, Thanks for that - much appreciated - sent for a CD manual yesterday off Fleaby it looks like the same one you have so I am fixed up now - although would like one that covers my new shape 2006 Sedona if you know of one,
Many Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that - funny enough I had a look at it this morning and it looks like the pulley on the alternator is causing the problem - it hasn't seized but the pulley has moved away from the alternator body and is in contact with the bodywork, which has put thepulley out of line with the other pulleys and thrown the belt. The pulley seems tight enough and the alternator spins freely - not sure if the pulley is pressed onto the alternator spindle or bolted on - so little clearance I cannot see or feel it - will have to remove alternator and probably end up replacing it.

Looks a bit of a job getting access to the alternator - but hey one of the joys of working on Sedonas !

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Thanks for your replies - Father in Law took hisSedona to local garage who fitted new alternator and belts (£460). He went out in itthe following day - it ran rough and eventually would not start. He had it taken to another garage who are saying that the first garage should have had a good look aroundfor any collatoral damage and any debris - and have found that the camshaft and crankshaft sensors were damaged and are now checking the cambelt which they will also replace.
The second garage are prepared to provide a full report - do you think he has a good case to claim from the first garage!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Nice one Murphwiz, but I ask myself why take it to another garage, you will have to fight 2 garages to get any satisfaction???
I feel a cigar moment coming on.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, Thanks for replies - interesting about the sensors being on the opposite end of the engine! In respect of kia passas comment - bearing in mind he is 80 and had paid £460 the previous day to have the problem sorted out - and they obviously hadn't he was reluctant to use them again - he did call them out and they told him they had no idea what was wrong with it. In hindsight it looks like it was their negligence that caused the further problem so he probably did the right thing in having it taken to the second garage, who have told him that the debris from the belt caused the second problem and will provide a written report to support any claim against the first garage who obviously did not do the job properly. Looks like another hefty bill but with some chance of comeback from the first garage.
Thanks again - enjoy your smoke!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts