Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

I've got a new picanto 5d 1 and thought I'd join the forum!

Only done 800 miles..

I have a question - I'm only getting about 47-49 mpg with very careful driving including average 55mph on the mway - I'm hoping this is just because its a new car - anyone with a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hi and welcome, unsure what the wife's Picanto returns fuel wise as she only does small journeys and we never seem to fill it up often enough to be an issue for us.
Cars to tend to take a while to settle, 800 isn't a lot of miles so I hope it improves for you if you should be getting more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Just took delivery my Picanto 1 5door a week ago - first tank returned circa 55mpg (both trip computer and manual calculation from fill up). I'm sure it will improve as it runs in, and hopefully get close to my previous car, a Panda Diesel, which used to get circa 65mpg..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome, Wilbo.

I think the magic number is about 59mpg. That's what I'm getting anyway, with mixed urban/extra-urban driving, hilly terrain, with (Bridgestone Winter) tyres at 38psi, super-thin fully synthetic engine oil (Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40), using eco-driving techniques, etc. 4500 miles on the odometer, ambient temperature very low, minus 4 to plus 5. The economy will improve in Spring, when the weather warms and I re-fit the standard Hankook energy saving Summer tyres.

I did manage 63 mpg on a previous tankfull. That was mostly on open roads and using extreme eco-driving techniques. The claimed figure is basically impossible, unless you drive around an oval track in Summer for hours at 45 mph...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks.My previous car was an aygo and ay-got (sorry!) 55-59 out of it on my to work commute which is mixed driving and 65-70 on mway driving. But aygo had only 2 seats in back! So changed to picanto esp as showed the 67mpg.
I'll wait for a coupla 1000 miles and c if it improves much.
Do you recommend taking in for a check over at 1k as the garage said don't bother..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes, I asked about a 1000 mile check-up, and they said not necessary. I have done a check-up myself of all fluids, and changed the oil, oil filter and sump plug gasket (at 4000 miles). I cleaned the air filter with compressed air and checked all nuts on the suspension and steering, etc.plus sprayed all the suspension and chassis parts with protection wax. That's after I paid extra to have the entire car (paintwork, glass, upholstery, tyres, etc.) treated before I took delivery. This little car is spolit! It lives in a garage with a de-humidifier, and gets washed and polished

1 - 11 of 11 Posts