Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Kia Ceed driver of 8 years, have posted before. Have now become proud owner of an Xceed PHEV, First Edition. Have lots of questions, hope other Xceed owners will answer

Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
Hello and happy new car. (y) :)

Registered
2020 Kia Xceed PHEV First Edition
Hello everyone, Kia Ceed driver of 8 years, have posted before. Have now become proud owner of an Xceed PHEV, First Edition. Have lots of questions, hope other Xceed owners will answer
Me too - just had my XCEED PHEV for about 5 weeks now although it's my first Kia. Despite being the 'top' First Edition version, where you'd imagine it can't possibly need any more gadgets, I'm finding a few things from my last car, a SEAT Leon ST Xperience 4-drive that this one doesn't have. Headlamp wash for one and and 'global opening and closing for another' (hold down the button to open and close everything). Nonetheless very pleased so far, especially when it comes to how infrequently I buy fuel! I have two frequent journeys to make both of which can scrape by without using petrol despite Somerset's hills. Haven't yet bothered to fit a charging socket as it's not a whole heap faster to charge when you do have one but it'll come no doubt.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me too - just had my XCEED PHEV for about 5 weeks now although it's my first Kia. Despite being the 'top' First Edition version, where you'd imagine it can't possibly need any more gadgets, I'm finding a few things from my last car, a SEAT Leon ST Xperience 4-drive that this one doesn't have. Headlamp wash for one and and 'global opening and closing for another' (hold down the button to open and close everything). Nonetheless very pleased so far, especially when it comes to how infrequently I buy fuel! I have two frequent journeys to make both of which can scrape by without using petrol despite Somerset's hills. Haven't yet bothered to fit a charging socket as it's not a whole heap faster to charge when you do have one but it'll come no doubt.
How often do you charge the car? I find I need to charge once a week if my journey is to work and back. I鈥檇 like to know what happens if I don鈥檛 charge my car and just use the petrol?

Registered
2020 Kia Xceed PHEV First Edition
How often do you charge the car? I find I need to charge once a week if my journey is to work and back. I鈥檇 like to know what happens if I don鈥檛 charge my car and just use the petrol?
I don't use my car daily but when I do, the journey tends to take up the entire battery range. Sometimes, if I've used a heavy right foot or had the air/con up high, it doesn't quite make it home on battery, but the transition to petrol/hybrid is more or less seamless. Unlike a lot of PHEVs the XCEED does indeed seem to be pretty economical when run as a hybrid. I think I've read somewhere that cars like the Golf GTE only do about 40 mpg once the battery is dead. For example, I drove 200 miles in one journey last week, the first 34 miles on battery (yes, I did actually get that far up the M5!) and the rest as a petrol/hybrid. When I got there, the computer was reading 72mpg. Of course that's 'subsidised' by the fact that the first 34 miles were 'free'. Allowing for that, the actual petrol usage over 166 miles (not 200) was a creditable 60mpg. You can also select 'Sport Mode' but the mpg takes a serious dive, probably around 45 mpg, BUT, and it's a big but, it also charges the battery - obviously not as economically as charging from home. I did my return 200 miles like this. First 34 on battery, nearly all the rest in Sport Mode, but had accumulated 25 miles of charge during that time, so at 25 miles from home switched back to battery. The overall result being 68 mpg, so not a lot of difference between 'ordinary' hybrid and 'sport mode'. As this means I drove 59 miles on battery, I'm think the petrol mpg was really 47 mpg if my calculations are correct. I try to make my battery charging a 'free' as possible, as I have solar panels and try to limit my charging the hours either side on noon. The Uwo app is useful for turning it on and off remotely. In general, the more short journeys you can do entirely on battery, the cheaper it will be to run but I suppose I'm saying that you don't need to worry if you have to go a long distance unexpectedly - it's still a pretty economical car..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't use my car daily but when I do, the journey tends to take up the entire battery range. Sometimes, if I've used a heavy right foot or had the air/con up high, it doesn't quite make it home on battery, but the transition to petrol/hybrid is more or less seamless. Unlike a lot of PHEVs the XCEED does indeed seem to be pretty economical when run as a hybrid. I think I've read somewhere that cars like the Golf GTE only do about 40 mpg once the battery is dead. For example, I drove 200 miles in one journey last week, the first 34 miles on battery (yes, I did actually get that far up the M5!) and the rest as a petrol/hybrid. When I got there, the computer was reading 72mpg. Of course that's 'subsidised' by the fact that the first 34 miles were 'free'. Allowing for that, the actual petrol usage over 166 miles (not 200) was a creditable 60mpg. You can also select 'Sport Mode' but the mpg takes a serious dive, probably around 45 mpg, BUT, and it's a big but, it also charges the battery - obviously not as economically as charging from home. I did my return 200 miles like this. First 34 on battery, nearly all the rest in Sport Mode, but had accumulated 25 miles of charge during that time, so at 25 miles from home switched back to battery. The overall result being 68 mpg, so not a lot of difference between 'ordinary' hybrid and 'sport mode'. As this means I drove 59 miles on battery, I'm think the petrol mpg was really 47 mpg if my calculations are correct. I try to make my battery charging a 'free' as possible, as I have solar panels and try to limit my charging the hours either side on noon. The Uwo app is useful for turning it on and off remotely. In general, the more short journeys you can do entirely on battery, the cheaper it will be to run but I suppose I'm saying that you don't need to worry if you have to go a long distance unexpectedly - it's still a pretty economical car..
Wow, thank you for the above information. I鈥檓 planning on going to the Lake District, so my journey will be as you have described above. 馃槷鈥嶐煉煒嶐煉煒嶐煉 I can relax now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts