Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI People
I had the HECU recall completed on my Sportage GT (apparently there had been several incidents in America, where the engine caught fire via the electrical harness. As a result Kia recalled the vehicles using "HECU" in order to replace a fuse). Straight afterwards my car went into limp mode 10mph, was informed by four different KIA dealerships it would be 2-3 weeks before they could even look at it and that they had no loan cars available. I have had to hire a vehicle whilst waiting for the repair.

Anyway got the vehicle back now, I have gone out tonight to start the car, the whole wiring system went berserk lights ,door mirrors, window wipers, screens, dash lights all coming on and off by themselves (quite scary actually) at the same time a sparking / shortening sound was coming from under the bonnet.

Contacted KIA UK to find a dealer who could look at it straight away and give me a loan car whilst they had it as I did not want to go back through all the hassle I just had being told 2-3 weeks before they could look at it. I was gobsmacked when the representative asked me to go back out and get the mileage on the vehicle. I said "so there is no misunderstanding you as Kia representative want me to go and switch on the ignition to enable me to get the mileage for you, Even though I have told you that the electrical system is malfunctioning and sounds like sparks ie wires shortening and all the electrical items were switching on and off as though they where about to blow up. You are asking me to put myself in danger and start the car again, is that correct" Their answer "Yes please, can I have it? "

I am stunned. Never had a single problem with my car until they did the recall !! so how many other people out there have had the same issue after the HECU recall.

Super Moderator
Hi & welcome.
What year/engine is your car?

This is not a issue that has cropped up before.

Polite reminder. Posting the same subject 4 times is against forum rules. I have deleted the other 3 posts which just said the same as above. As well as moving to Sportage section (y)

Reactions: Indalo

Registered
I've had the recall done and haven't had any issues.

I suspect that it's a faulty fuse. After all, the work done was to replace two (?) fuses.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iooi thank you for putting me straight with the rules. (newbie)

My Engine is 2.0 L Diesel / 2017,

However I do have to disagree with you as one of the postings I commented on had the exact same thing happen to him straight after a recall, the wiring going haywire and the car not starting. So clearly there are two of us at this moment. I have started the thread because, clearly when I asked the same question to KIA UK . She told me that most of the dealerships are franchised so they have no records (strange) I rang two different dealerships and they confirmed.

So my point is this it took almost two years in America to get the fire issue as a priority and the recall implemented. Is this because KIA have not got a good grip of what people issues are ??? ie how many people have had the same issue gone into a dealership that have found no fault and the customer has left. This is not recorded anywhere, again because most of the dealerships are franchised they will not be aware that other customers have been experiencing the same fault.

As I said three years I have had the car and never had a problem until this recall, so am I to assume garage has messed the recall up either by dislodging another item ,fitting a less superior part or software issue. I have no idea but what I do know leaving a customer without their car for three weeks is near impossible, in fact losing your car for a day is bad enough. And reading the other threads it appears to be another pattern developing,

1. Customer can't get car looked at straight away.
2. No loan cars available

Loved Kia up to recently, but it appears the aftercare is lacking far far far behind. This is not down to the individual dealerships more a Brand issue at KIA, ie Sales before Customer Service !

Anyone who has had or is having the above issues. I would be grateful if you can post on this thread and I will try and re address the issues. Thank You

Super Moderator
No problems.

1. All dealers are in the same boat being extremely busy.
2. It's in the T/C of the warranty that a hire car will not be provided by Kia. It is totally at dealer discretion from their pool of cars. But since Covid hit many dealers do not have the pool of cars they used to.

it appears the aftercare is lacking far far far behind. This is not down to the individual dealerships more a Brand issue at KIA, ie Sales before Customer Service !
There is only one Kia garage in the UK (Bolton) all the rest are franchises. So the service level you receive is dealer based. As we see often. Not all dealer are as good as others. Same with sales before service. That is 100% based on the dealer you use.

Dealer will have been using a part supplied by Kia, but if they have made a error fitting it. Then who knows what issues it will cause.

I hope you issue gets sorted soon.

Registered
I got the letter last weekend, called the Local dealer on Monday and had the work done today. Some sort of fuse and a firmware update. Should have taken half an hour but took two hours because the dealership has no Internet... This is 2021 right?

Registered
The "no internet" thing, I'm convinced is some sort of excuse dealerships use.

We wanted our Sat Nav updating and they couldn't do it due to "no internet".

My brother wanted his sat nav updating and has been given that excuse twice now by our local Hyundai Dealership.

Registered
Some smaller dealerships suffer with bandwidth to download the update, not that they have no internet, if the downloads get corrupted it can cause more issues when trying to install in car
APARENTLY

Super Moderator
The "no internet" thing, I'm convinced is some sort of excuse dealerships use.

We wanted our Sat Nav updating and they couldn't do it due to "no internet".

My brother wanted his sat nav updating and has been given that excuse twice now by our local Hyundai Dealership.
Sadly there are times when the internet goes down. Such as our major area outage on Tuesday. All Virgin in are area was offline for nearly a day.
I spent the day using phone as a WiFi hotspot so I could keep a eye on things. Sadly not enough for daughter working from home, who now has to make up a days time due to the outage.

Registered
Sadly there are times when the internet goes down. Such as our major area outage on Tuesday. All Virgin in are area was offline for nearly a day.
I spent the day using phone as a WiFi hotspot so I could keep a eye on things. Sadly not enough for daughter working from home, who now has to make up a days time due to the outage.
The internet always seem to go down when we want the Sat Nav updating.....

Super Moderator
The internet always seem to go down when we want the Sat Nav updating.....
You would think that logic dictates that as soon as a update is available, It is downloaded to a local computer, or stored on a USB stick to be used over & over.

Reactions: kia62

Registered
hello all new to the forum
i received the letter re HECU update earliest appointment in South Wales for my 2019 Sportage to go in is 2nd week October - re the SATNAV system am i right in thinking only KIA dealerships can update it - out yesterday on a new road system and she went a little off-grid so i thought take our the SP card and look online but reading posts it looks as if it has to go to a dealership thanks

Registered
i received the letter re HECU update earliest appointment in South Wales for my 2019 Sportage to go in is 2nd week October - re the SATNAV system am i right in thinking only KIA dealerships can update it - out yesterday on a new road system and she went a little off-grid so i thought take our the SP card and look online but reading posts it looks as if it has to go to a dealership thanks
Yes Satnav updates are only done by the dealers. with a charge of up to 拢40

Super Moderator

- re the SATNAV system am i right in thinking only KIA dealerships can update it - out yesterday on a new road system and she went a little off-grid so i thought take our the SP card and look online but reading posts it looks as if it has to go to a dealership thanks
Hi & Welcome.

Officially it is dealer only updates.
I would ask before it goes in for recall if they can also update maps at the same time. (don't do it on the day, as it does take time to do) & they may do it for free.
Just do not expect all new roads to be in the update, as it takes a while for these to filter through.
This year update is Eur.13, but Eur.14 has also been reported by some users.

Reactions: Penglais28
1 - 14 of 14 Posts