Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take from cold to get hot air out of your heater?

Seems to take an age,
10 minutes at least and then if I'm a little over enthusiastic and put the fan speed on three or more it gets cold within seconds.

I had a scan on the search and there's lot's about rear heater pipes etc but very little on my issue.
Any ideas?
It's freezing out here......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check the water in your radiator. It could be low. Is your engine over-heating? It may be related to the rear heater pipes if they are leaking (a common problem apparently). If your radiator runs out of water, the heater will blow hot and cold air intermittently, your engine will switch to 'limp' mode. You will eventually overheat and 'cook' you engine. I know all this because it happened to me last week!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Javelin said:
How long does it take from cold to get hot air out of your heater?

Seems to take an age,
10 minutes at least and then if I'm a little over enthusiastic and put the fan speed on three or more it gets cold within seconds.

I had a scan on the search and there's lot's about rear heater pipes etc but very little on my issue.
Any ideas?
It's freezing out here......
I had a similar problem with my 2006 Sedona 2.9 TS - ie very little heat coming out of the heater system. I checked the cooling system and found that the level had dropped very slightly. Eventually found that the rubber seal round the small topping up cap was damaged and allowing the pressure to drop and a very small amount of coolant to escape. Only small amounts but enough to affect the heating system. When I first had the car I also had a leak on the lower radiator hose connection that also caused the same problem. So worth having a good look around in case you have a leak somewhere.
Could also be worth considering your thermostat.

Edited by: alcutler

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. I will be checking my heating pipes soon as water level drops. Aftre fixing everything lse I can now double chech hoses clips and all. See link on rear heater pipe, with photos. You can buy heater hose off e bay by the metre and diff 'mms' from £1.50 to £3.00 post free and a 10 mtr roll is about £25 so is a job to do at home with new clips and a cuppa.
KIA pipes to rear heater on E Bay at mo £88 plus postage.
KIa pipesat KIA £130 plus fitting.
Try taking rear pipe off to allow water to flow out and clear any air or debris.
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
390 Posts
stevegx said:
Hi. I will be checking my heating pipes soon as water level drops. Aftre fixing everything lse I can now double chech hoses clips and all. See link on rear heater pipe, with photos. You can buy heater hose off e bay by the metre and diff 'mms' from £1.50 to £3.00 post free and a 10 mtr roll is about £25 so is a job to do at home with new clips and a cuppa.
KIA pipes to rear heater on E Bay at mo £88 plus postage.
KIa pipesat KIA £130 plus fitting.
Try taking rear pipe off to allow water to flow out and clear any air or debris.
Steve Gx Blackpool
Hi Again.
The prevoius posts on this are from DJS1507 posted 1/5/2011. Have a look and see the similarities.
Steve G x Blackpool

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a similar problem in that the heating works initially and then goes cold but I have assumed that this is as a result of an open thermostat as the temperature gauge (near the speedometer) goes cold when driving at motorway speeds but goes to 'normal' when driving at slower speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the past, on my Mazda Bongo, if I got a variable temp gauge it was due to an air lock in the water cooling system.

There was a rather convoluted bleeding procedure to get the air out and it was important as the engine was prone to cooking and cracking the head otherwise.

I can't see on this forum any such bleeding procedure and wonder if either I'm blind or it's really a pretty good water system and bleeds itself.

I'm off to but 6 meters of hose now to bypass my rusty pipes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had my rear heater pipes changed last week. I've been told to check the water in the radiator (not the coolant container) over the next few days as any air bubbles should work themselves out by themselves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
CollSteeps said:
I had my rear heater pipes changed last week. I've been told to check the water in the radiator (not the coolant container) over the next few days as any air bubbles should work out by themselves.[/QUOTE=CollSteeps]

·
Registered
187 Posts
My Sedona with no problems with coolant etc, used to take 20 mins to get warm. 2.9 diesel. I put it down to big car and longer to warm up due to the size, pipes length etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not a great fan of Halfords,
However they came up trumps with 6 metres of heater hose for £2.48 per meter.
A quick trip to B&Q for four copper 15mm straight connectors and four jubilee clips and a few Cable ties and I think the job of replacing the said pipes is done.
Should have change from £25.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2007 modelSedona 2.9 diesel and it takes 2 to 3 miles to start gettingany reasonableheat through and about 6 miles before it gets up to normal opperating temperature and the heaterputs out good heat.The temperature gauge is then showing just under the half way mark. The gauge then stays there irrespective of driving conditions.
Bit of a pain when it's cold and damp and the windscreen is misted up, but then you appreciate the warmth more when it does come!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2.9 2004 sedona, mine takes the same time around 10-15 minutes or so, but it does depend on the outside temperature, in summer it get up to fuull operating temp a lot quicker, whereas in winter it takes longer to get warm air out the heater and up to full operating temp for the engine. I just put it down to bigger engine size too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts