Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from a nightmare trip to French Alps we made in our Sedona SE 2.9 CRDI (2004). We were half way to thedestinationwhen suddenly steam started coming through the vents. RAC could not sendanyonestraightaway and should anyone come out theywouldonlybe prepared to collect it.Understandable, it was far too cold to work outside. We could not delay as agents had keys for theapartmentandwouldbe closed if we had to wait for anyone. I tried couple of garages hoping to get alengthof a hose to by-pass the heater or some radweld type of of solution but alas. We had no choice butcontinue our journey whilst topping up the coolant. If I only knew that kia would have most of the electronics on the floor right under the matrix. Well, I soon found out. My mother-in-lawalmosthad a heartattackwhen pre-tensionersuddenly went with a mighty bang

Any way we got to theapartmentjust in time and had RAC to collect the car. French mechanics could not do anything other than by-pass the matrix. Charged me 130 Euros for 5 minutes job and as i discovered later manged to damage both heater hoses so one of they had to be cut down. I just wish i had my tools with me.

Any way after a pleasant journey back in a car without heating at the front in the freezing weather I am now trying to sort the car out.

I must say notimpressedwith KIA for burying the matrixdeepbehind the dash board. Surely they could have a cut out in the box so one could pull the matrix out without having to strip half of the car down. After being quoted by KIA over £400 + parts +vat i decided to do it myself. Very proud of myself that I've managed to work it out without any manuals how to get to the heater housing. It did take me good 4 hours but hope assembly will be much faster now that I know how it all goes together (he says
). Actually, I am sure if i had to strip it down again, i could do it in one hour. its all about knowing where all the little bolts and nuts are, especially those which are hidden away, like the ones under the speakers.

Now the problem... Isuccessfully ordered the matrix but have problem with the hoses. The local Kia parts department were notableto identify them on the diagram. it was emailed to me and i identified oneof them, whichconnectsto the metal pipe running across the 'firewall'. wasastonishedby the price,y £30 for 5 inches of rubber, what a rip off. if it was not shaped as it is would definitely buy cut to size from car factors.

Anyway, I am hoping someone may be able to help withidentifying the second heater hose, which is the longer one out of two. It runs from the matrix towards the engine. Again,wouldgo for cut to size option but the hose ends appear to have differentdiameter.

Another problem, the french guy kept all the clips and used jubilee clips instead. I would prefer originals ones. Any opinions? Kia says they cant get them?!

So now the air bag system problem. I need advice on this. I do recall that the air bag light came on shortly before the pre-tensioner fired. I was looking for a spot to stop, when it happened. What I amsurprisedabout is that it fired after the light came on indicating a malfunction. I was under impression that once the warninglighton, air bag and pre-tensioners will not go off.

i have now ordered the complete seat belt assembly but i am worried that this is not the end of myproblems. In fact I am worried that once I connect the new one (well, new second hand) it may fire too as there may be something shorted out somewhere, otherwise why did it go off in the first place. Any advice?

thank you in advance

alex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention. the hose I am after has the following number written on it K55E 61 218 >EPDM<KIA says its not recognised by their database. Hope someone can help me to solve this mistery.

Or may be i should give up and just get 16mm EPDM hose from car factors? Certainly will be cheaper. Will it fit though on both ends?

Alex

·
Registered
702 Posts
HiSorry to hear of your woes with the Sedona. If you want second hand parts you could do worse than try Sedona Gary. He breaks/sells Sedona's and is a good lad to know he will normally answer any questions you have ,his details are below he will sort you out with all the bits and have them delivered to you. I have used him for years and quite a few others on the forum have used him and had no problems with any parts.

Email [email protected]

Mobile 07799408459

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you bruno1926. I keep him in mind. still trying to get new hoses, one came in but turn out to be wrong. nothing like on the picture.
Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts