Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, My 2010 (mk2 shape) sportage 2.0 Titan bought four years ago has always had a heater issue and im trying to work through it now.
The motor appears to work fine on the blend flap actuator and air recirculation flap operates normally, the blower motor works fine and i think so do the a/c controls.
Having flushed the heater core/matrix that was pretty grimy (possible radiator leak stop has been used at some time) this has improved the heat flow quite a bit.
but when testing i have noticed the following:
More hot air on the drivers side than the passengers, i can see the mode actuator moving to the different positions and the air changes on the vents so far mechanically appears ok.
When set to cold the air is powerful through all vents left, right top, bottom and sides, but as i increase the temperature epically 18 degrees+ the air stays hot but the passenger side foot and left vent air flow drops to a trickle while the drivers side is still blowing well this operation has been tested lots of times with the same result. This is a single climate a/c unit so i think all of the visible actuators have been seen moving.
What's throwing me is if the blend door is ok as with heat on the drivers side and cold air is powerful on both sides why as i reach and pass 18 degrees does the force drop on the left hand side? this doesn't seem to affect the windscreen operation when on either with power or temperature.
i have read on thread that says the heater core could still be blocked but this wouldn't affect the air flow force I'm guessing just a cooler heat.

Any help would be a bonus

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Does yours have separate controls for dirver and passenger side temps?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi no its single control that's what's throwing me.
At a guess i was thinking that the mode flaps inside the unit are possibly not fully opening on on the passenger side but surly this would only be a single divert on a single temp unit.
I can feel and see the blend door actuator moving and on cold have full airflow on both sides until i pass 18deg then the passenger side flow falls off but the blower puts out hot to drivers side with no fall in airflow its puzzling

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
There might be two mode flaps or even two blend flaps to allow for the possibility of dual temp controls - simpler to use same parts on all models. We have seen that (for e.g.) it is possible to add cruise control to some non CC cars just by installing the appropriate controls in the steering wheel.

Has it a pollen filter and has it always had one installed? - I'm thinking of the possibility that leaves have got in there.

Your going to have to take it apart to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if the pollen filter sits under the air recirculation flap directly over the blower fan then all is clear but i will check inside the duct where possible, i get the dual system principle but would that mean there needs to be a mode actuator on both sides of the air box unit to divert the mixed air to both left and right independently. If taking it apart means dash off then ill probably have to live with it.
but thanks for you ideas if i sort it i will post for all.
Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My final report on the problem without removing the airbox is :
after putting an inspection camera up the foot vents i can see what looks to be the main mode flap switching to various positions and might have slightly increased the air flow on the left a bit (a chance or guess thing) i didnt see anything that struck me as odd. the blend flap delivers full heat on a good flow to drivers side but probably only 50% of the heat and 25% air flow strength on the passenger side. if it has two blend flaps then the passenger side must be restricted of stuck in off from the heat side i guess. ill use a radiator flush/cleaner on the heater core only when the weather improves.
Thanks all for your input on this (y) Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts