Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
As per title the heater fan on our 2017 JA type Picanto "2" is only working on full speed. I'm assuming it's the resistor gone pop.
Anybody know how these are changed on these?
I think it's a covered by warranty job but I like to know how easy these things are to do.
Many thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello
As per title the heater fan on our 2017 JA type Picanto "2" is only working on full speed. I'm assuming it's the resistor gone pop.
Anybody know how these are changed on these?
I think it's a covered by warranty job but I like to know how easy these things are to do.
Many thanks
Found a parts diagram, so know how it's done.
Got to say I'd hoped it would last longer than the 20,000 miles i've currently done !
Cheers

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course its covered by warranty unless the electrics have been tampered with.
That's cool, car is 100% standard/untampered with so that's good to know, thanks for that.
I'll probably get the cabin filter changed whilst they're in the vacinity as handbook says that should be done at 20,000 miles & I assume that will influence how hard things like the blower have to work. I appreciate i'll have to pay for that !

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it is the resistor ( I thought it was), so after telling the dealer I thought it was the resistor, I took it in for them to check on the 24th of Jan (it is they confirm the resistor), A week later booked the car in as the part had now arrived ..& the part will be fitted on the 2nd of March as they couldn't fit it in to do the work in any earlier.
I must say this does seem rather a long time to have to wait, especially since I initially rang them & told them the issue on the 4th of January !

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, it is the resistor ( I thought it was), so after telling the dealer I thought it was the resistor, I took it in for them to check on the 24th of Jan (it is they confirm the resistor), A week later booked the car in as the part had now arrived ..& the part will be fitted on the 2nd of March as they couldn't fit it in to do the work in any earlier.
I must say this does seem rather a long time to have to wait, especially since I initially rang them & told them the issue on the 4th of January !
So is it the whole blower motor they have to replace (if so seems it can be replaced simply by removing the glove box lid)?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So is it the whole blower motor they have to replace (if so seems it can be replaced simply by removing the glove box lid)?
Hello
No it's literally just the resistor card, the fan works on full speed or nothing so it's definitely that (& they've confirmed it). To replace the card it's take out/lower glovebox, undo connector (2 screws I think) & pull out resistor card & put new one in etc etc.
I know it's an easy job & I could do it myself if I had the relevant part, but I don't really want to risk doing stuff myself & invalidate the warranty (plus if I were going to do it myself that would negate the reason for getting a car with a long warranty...).
As it's an easy & quick job it does make me wonder why it's taking so long for them to get it done !?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks. It is just good to build upon our knowledge of possible weak points in the car's engineering / parts engineering and what is involved in solving them. This issue seems like a very easy fix then which is good to know. Too often these days 90% - 95% of a repair job can be getting to the part that needs to be fixed in the first place so it is refreshing to find something that can be fixed with such relative ease.

I was initially worried when first reading this thread that the issue might have been within the front console blower switch itself. And in that case, boy is the repairer in for a fun time (not).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts