Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heated Windscreen Wipers.

Are these any good or just a gimmick ?

After doing a night shift last night and coming out at 7 am and waiting 5 minutes for my screen to clear at -8 . It has got me wondering about the heated windscreen wipers. Do they clear the ice quickly ? Are replacement wipers very exspensive to replace ? How do they work ?

Regards Gaz.

·
Registered
536 Posts
All I though they were was the front window was heated where the wipers rest. The heated front window is copywritted by ford so an element, like the rear screen, is put out of view. I thought it was so they were able to wipe the screen and not be stuck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If memory serves, Ford own the Patent/Copyright on the heated windscreen that contains a wave form filament, rather than a straight filament. This wave form allegedly is less distracting to the driver.
I believe Rover/Land Rover had a straight filament heated windscreen some years ago, but that is where my memory gets blurred

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
IIRC Ford's elements are ziz zag.

I've just had a look (with a magnifying glass) and Land Rover's are definitely an irregular wave form.

Heated screens have been around a long time. I think they were first developed for aircraft during WW2.

Here is a patent application from 1956 for a method of applying the technology to laminated glass panels of unusual configuration in aircraft and other vehicles...

Electrically heated laminated glass panels

1 - 4 of 4 Posts