Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick someone's brains.
When it's cold outside in the morning, I tend to nip out and start the car and turn on the rear heated seats ready for my daughters, so it's nice and warm when they get in.
With the car ticking over, seatbelts not inserted, the rear seats heat up fine like the above.
Can you do this with the front driver and passenger ones?
Having been brain dead since taking the car into kia for them to look at my front passenger seat heating.
I did the same thing this morning. Car ticking over and the rear seats heated up fine.
Drivers seat heating turned on but it was cold when I got in.
It only heated up once I sat on it and did the seatbelt up.
I'm sure I could do the same as the rears before.
Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Must admit it’s something that has puzzled me the past 3 years I’ve had my Carens.

At first I thought it was a fault in the system but now your post confirms my suspicions that the seats only heat when your sat in them something I find pointless because my body heat is quite capable of heating the seat when I’m sat in it.

I don’t have rear heated seats and I rarely use the front heated seats because of the way KIA have set these seats to work.

Sorry no answer to fixing something that’s not broken.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Pick someone's brains.
When it's cold outside in the morning, I tend to nip out and start the car and turn on the rear heated seats ready for my daughters, so it's nice and warm when they get in.
Just get in and drive it, the car warms up far quicker.

Trust you lock it while its unattended and running, if it got stolen (as cars do) you would have no cover.

If its on a public road leaving a car running whilst unattended (even if locked) is illegal.

Our neighbour used to do exactly this until the handbrake failed on his steep drive. It rolled back and became jammed between his house and our garage. Could not get in either front door or rear doors. Had to wait for a tow. How we laughed.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
No idea about the back seats, we never use them, but the front's only warm up when they are sat in.
@Indalo did you have the little electic heater that had a couple of suckers to fix it to the window? Just enough heat to clear about two inches either side! :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I didn't know until recently that if you keep the heated seat button pressed it will turn them off without having to press 1, 2 or 3 times.
That's interesting! Which reminds me, why when you only press the button once does it start in "bum roasting" setting 3? I find even setting 1 uncomfortably hot after only a few minutes, so can't understand how anyone could have it on 3 for any time at all unless they had asbestos underpants on!

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
That's interesting! Which reminds me, why when you only press the button once does it start in "bum roasting" setting 3? I find even setting 1 uncomfortably hot after only a few minutes, so can't understand how anyone could have it on 3 for any time at all unless they had asbestos underpants on!
At this time of year if you have the black leather.... It's easy. Also depends on what you are wearing.

Good for bad backs though 😍

I think ours are only ever on for about 10 mins, just enough to warm the old bones. Daughter who is under 7 stone dripping wet can go over 30 mins in her car....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just get in and drive it, the car warms up far quicker.

Trust you lock it while its unattended and running, if it got stolen (as cars do) you would have no cover.

If its on a public road leaving a car running whilst unattended (even if locked) is illegal.

Our neighbour used to do exactly this until the handbrake failed on his steep drive. It rolled back and became jammed between his house and our garage. Could not get in either front door or rear doors. Had to wait for a tow. How we laughed.
You may laugh but many PHEV’s and EV’s have the option to pre-heat the car with the cars heater including the seats, steering wheel and windscreen. I’ve only read the specification for these cars while searching for my next car but assume as you can do this remotely the car doors are locked.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You may laugh but many PHEV’s and EV’s have the option to pre-heat the car with the cars heater including the seats, steering wheel and windscreen. I’ve only read the specification for these cars while searching for my next car but assume as you can do this remotely the car doors are locked.
Our PHEV came with pre-heating as standard. Simply set your departure time and required temp and it will be warmed to your settings. Catch is it will only work when the car is plugged into a compatible smart charger. We use a granny charger so no pre-heating for us.

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
209 Posts
Slightly off topic. My last car. Jaguar XE had an app where you could start the car and set climate temperature, amongst other things.
Obviously car was locked. Driver took control by unlocking car and pressing brake pedal. Any other method and the car stalled.

·
Registered
e-niro 4+ 2021
99 Posts
Our PHEV came with pre-heating as standard. Simply set your departure time and required temp and it will be warmed to your settings. Catch is it will only work when the car is plugged into a compatible smart charger. We use a granny charger so no pre-heating for us.
I have an e-Niro and yes, you can schedule pre - heating as long as the car is still charging. If the car isn't charging you can still pre - heat but you have to turn it on manually. This is still great as you can do it from your phone while you are still eating your cornflakes. I get in my car and have a lovely warm interior with the heated steering wheel toasty and on frosty mornings, I don't even have to scrape the ice off the windows as the heated rear screen and HVAC system has already defrosted the windows for me. Oddly enough, the one thing you can't switch on is the heated seats🤨
Oh, the joys of 21st century motoring!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts