Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading about these fancy heated seats and steering wheels. Huh, you don't know you're born. When I was a lad, you had to get up at 4 in the morning to dig your car out of a 6 foot snow drift with your bare hands often getting severe frostbite. Once inside your car, you had to use a hammer and chisel to remove 3 inches of ice covering the inside of the windscreen.

You would then find the battery was flat so you'd have to start the car with the starting handle. This would often kick back breaking your thumb or wrist.

Once at work, you would have to complete your 14 hour shift with severe frost bite and a broken wrist with no medical attention for six pence a day. Did we complain? **** no! We were men in those days.

Like I said, you don't know you're born.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, fully understand but....
once you have had them, you appreciate them!
OK, we've not gone to the extent of a heated steering wheel but heated seats can be welcome, but only if your Nanook of the North wanting to avoid having your assets frozen.
We've used the heated seats about twice in 7 years of 3 Sporty's... but we're dahn sarf so don't get the icicles that kilt wearers may get :)

·
Super Moderator
3,137 Posts
Had my heated seat and wheel on yesterday - in the pouring rain (fortunately no snow in east south Wales)!

But I never use ice scrapers on my windscreen.

When I was working I used to put a 500 watt heater on the rear parcel shelf aligned with the gap between the front seats.
(No head restraints in those days!)
This was plugged into an external power point with switch in my hall and lead run into car at bottom of driver's door.
After about half an hour any ice/condensation on the windscreen had gone and the car was nice and warm.

Now I simply pour a kettle (or three) of warmish water onto the windscreen and all windows.
Since this warms the inside of the windscreen I don't get condensation on the inside either.
When away from home I use a spray bottle of concentrated winter screenwash (to -20°C) to defrost the windscreen.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I love this thread! The principle involved reminds me very much of the fuel consumption commentary that ensues whenever someone green enough asks, 'What kind of fuel consumption should I expect from my 2-ton 4x4?😊

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yesterday morning my hands were really cold, I thought I know I will put the heated steering wheel on. Never used it before, not bad for 4 years. In fact had to scratch my head to find the button. Had a look around the dash when I stopped and eventually found the heated seat button. The steering wheel was so hot felt like an oven in the car lol. 😄😄

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Look on heated seat as bliss when you have a bad back.

As to heated steering wheel. Everyone knows proper drivers wear leather fronted gloves with the vented backs :grin:

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's one of the main reasons I use them. Surprising what benefit they provide over a reasonable length journey.
Amen to that. Good lumbar support and heated seats are a complete boon.

The only problem is the necessity to squirm about because your thighs are burning!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Blimey the toys you have today.

I used to live in the sticks and was taken to school in a old Ford Pop 100E. After gettng it started on the starting handle and scraping the frost off the inside of the windows! Off we went, a heater was an optional extra, we didn’t have that luxury. The inside would frost over from your breath, there was a small strip heater on the bottom of the windscreen that plugged in to the cigarette lighter that defrosted about two inches on windscreen.

Coats, scarfs and gloves is all you had to keep you warm inside the car.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Blimey the toys you have today.

I used to live in the sticks and was taken to school in a old Ford Pop 100E. After gettng it started on the starting handle and scraping the frost off the inside of the windows! Off we went, a heater was an optional extra, we didn’t have that luxury. The inside would frost over from your breath, there was a small strip heater on the bottom of the windscreen that plugged in to the cigarette lighter that defrosted about two inches on windscreen.

Coats, scarfs and gloves is all you had to keep you warm inside the car.
Minus the starting handle, that pretty much describes the metro I had as my first car!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes it was good back then... wondering if the bastard would start due to a manual choke on the Weber carburettor, damp distributor, dodgy points, crap HT leads...oh the joys of 70's cars I was always doing something to the engine.

Do I like the heated seats and wheel on my Pro'ceed...I like them very much, would I buy a classic 70's car not a chance I didn't like them when they were good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes it was good back then... wondering if the bastard would start due to a manual choke on the Weber carburettor, damp distributor, dodgy points, crap HT leads...oh the joys of 70's cars I was always doing something to the engine.
Tracking inside the distributor cap, been there.

The choke button got very hot once, that symptom used to confuse a few peope.

Fixed by tightening a bolt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts