Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My farther owns a 04 1.3 Rio. His rear windscreen heater has stopped working. Does anyone know where the relay is located?Checked fuse board.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
There was a discussion about this on an earlier post and its quite common for the connector in the wiring loom in tail gate or rear quarter panel to either corrode or come apart. Worth a check.
welcome to the club Boroboy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
See the side panel in the boot area there is also a connection in there. Have you checked with a volt meter at the terminal on the heated screen for power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Davy,
Found the original thread you were talking about on site. Will check it all out. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I'll let you know how he gets on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Davy,
Checked all connectors, all good.

Any idea where the relay is located? No power at heated screen, have tested.

Thanks.
Edited by: Boroboy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I had this rear heated window problem with my old Rio. I think the relay is in the switch itself. When you press the button, does the light come on?

Did you check both connectors in the tailgate for continuity?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, followed your previous post.
Heater switch does light up, no continuity at connectors.

From what I can gather there are 3 to 4 relays (one being the heated windscreen), located within the A pillar. Can't find them. Not exactly sure where they're located.

Thanks for your input,

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
When you say "no continuity at connectors" do you mean you get no volts at the connectors when the switch is on and the engine running?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What sort of resistance to you getacross the connectors with the engine off?

Have you had a look at the point where the cables go into the tailgate?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked all connectors, no corrosion or power supply to them, with ignition on or off. Light on switch.

I bought him an officialKIAworkshop manual a few months ago, states that there are 3 or 4 relays together in a line within the front A pillar. One being the heated rear windscreen. Just struggling to find them. If I do, I'll let you know.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you find the relays, let me know, I'd be interested. Where did you get the manual from?

Oh, and when you said the ignition was in the on position, was the engine running? The engine has to be running or the heater will not work.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
M4 there was a guy on ebay selling proper Kia manuals for alot of models. I got the one for the Rio diesel engine and its a great manual. He did do ones for the earlier Rio but dont see any now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Davy,
Bought my farther one off fleabay too, for his 04 Rio. Shame it does not show the exact position of the heated rear window relay

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hi Boroboy, I've just checked my '05 1.3Le and the switch only works with the engine running (well done M4trundler) and the relay has a loud 'click' which is coming from somewhere just behind the switch itself. It is easy to remove the facia (I changed the radio a while ago) as it just pulls off being held in place by clips. The earlier models have a single screw behind the ashtray. On my model the rear screen demister also demists the door mirrors.
Best of luck.

Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
M4,
I bought the manual off fleabay a few months back, as could not get hold of an Haynes at the time. Will let you know when he finds the relay. There is a black type box near to theA pillar drivers side, may be behind that. He has tried the feed with the ignition on & off. No power to connectors from switch.

No relevance. He changed the elec drivers side window motor six months ago, he was surprised how cheap the motor was from dealers. Took him a while to take door facia off, managed eventually.

Edited by: Boroboy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts