Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an old 03 plate Rio as a second car. everything works except the heated rear screen. The light comes on when you press the button and there's a sound like a relay clicking in, but there's no power at the back window. I've checked the fuse and that seems ok. I've checked the resistance of the element, that's fine. Is the relay for the heated rear screen under the bonnet, or is it hidden under the dash somewhere?

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Common problem, take of the trim inside the tailgate, and check the multiplug with the thickwires on left hand side, will probably find the connection there has had it, I usually solder a bypass in, sorted.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wire for thescreen heater power is a seperate green wire that doesn't go into a multiplug as far as I can see. It does have a single connector, which I undid and that's where I tested for the power. This connector goes for about 6 inches before going into a wire bundle on the harness for the rear light cluster wires. Is there another multiplug connector further up the harness?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got it!

There was another connector further up. Doesn't help that there are many wires with the same colour! The rear screen heater was on the connector with the rear wiper motor. There seems to be a lot of unecessary connectors!

Anyway this particular connector was corroded and jammed together. Will have to cut the whole thing off by the looks of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
M4trundler,
Did you get your rear screen fixed ok? I am having the same problem myself, and I thought you might be able to help me out. Elecs. and wiring are not my forte, so a bit of help would be much appreciated.
All the best,
Sam58

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Sam58,

Yes I got it sorted, to then find that only 1 of the heater elements was working!! Never mind will have to get the silver paint out sometime and fill in the breaks on the screen.

First thing is to check the fuse under the bonnet. Check in the manual to find which one it is.

Does the light come on on the switch when pressed? Can you hear a click when it's pushed in, like a relay switching?

If that's ok, then pull off the cover on the inside of the tailgate. It just pops on and off with a little pull or push, although there are 2 screws holding the tailgate handle which need to be undone to be able to take the cover right off.

If you have a multimeter, start the engine, switch on the defrost switch and put your meter into Volts mode and touch the electrodes on the bare end contacts of the heaterunit on either side of the screen. If you have power here, but no defrost, then it means all the elements are dead. This can be checked by switching the engine off, putting the meter in resistance mode and measuring the resistance of the heater unit. Make sure the engine is off when you measure the resistance, or you will damage your meter.

If you get a resistance from the heater unit, should be just a few Ohms and still have no powerat the contacts, disconncet the upper connector from the heater element and measure for voltage there (make sure you've first put your meter back from measuring resistance to volts!!!). This is with the engine running and the switch on.

If you still don't have power there, follow the leads back from the upper connector to the lower connector. You'll probably have to pull off some tape to do this. This lower connector also has the rear wiper motor wires. Pull off this connector and test for power again, with the engine running and the defrost switch on. The wire carrying the power for the heater unit is a fat green wire, although many of the other wires nearby are also green, so colour code isn't a great help!

This is the connector where I had the poor contact. Water had got into it and seized it up. I cut off the entire connector and resoldered the cables directly together and wrapped lots of insulating tape around them. This lowerconnector is a waste of time as the wiper motor has it's own separate connector and so does the heated screen unit, so cutting it out is not a problem.

If you don't have a multimeter, you could use a small 12V light bulb and a couple of wires to test voltage and put a battery and a bulb in series to test for continuity.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more info.

Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Why dont you bust the rear screen and then claim your windscreen cover on your insurance and pay the £60 then you will have a working heated screen.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that would be a bit dishonest!!!!

I'd rather "wait" until that happens with the front screen, since it's got stone chips.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you M4 trundler, this is great info. If we ever get a dry day, I will have a look see, and follow your directions, much appreciated.

davy, I am shocked that a fellow Ayrshire man would suggest such a thing! On second thoughts, it might not be a bad idea if I cannae repair it! What size of brick do I use!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Och ye dont need a brick just ask the wife to stick her heed out the boot and shut the tailgate. Hey presto a bust screen and a wife thats quiet for the day. Aah heaven.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Very funny lads, that really is what is called, using the head. It is always best to have a backup plan right enough.
Since it was dry today, I thought I would make a start at the repair, but her indoors had other ideas. Shopping, of course, and so it had to be, for the sake of a bit of peace and quiet. If it is dry tomorrow, I might get a chance to fix the problem, so I will keep all advice on board, and will let you lads know how I get on, or not, as the case may be.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did tell the missus of your brainwave Davy, she was definitely not impressed! I think it is myself who needs the crash helmet, she is wandering about muttering away to herself with a hammer in her hand. Tension in the house is definitely rising, I have to sleep with one eye open, and the cat has disappeared, a sure sign of an eruption of violence in chez moi.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tell her you'd be really upset if she happened to put that hammer thru the rear screen...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Was thinking of putting a photo of myself on the rear window, and allowing her to vent her spleen on it instead of me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Whilst the wife is still vision only, no sound, I detect a slight melting in her attitude towards me, it is after all her birthday this weekend, it will cost a fortune to get back into her good books. Would have been cheaper taking the car to a Kia garage to get it fixed!
Some women just have no sense of humour at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts