Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took my car to have the driver seat replaced today on by KX3, and also the Sat-Nav andECU updated, but after the garage having my car for 2 1/2 hours my wife came home to inform me that MY car has just sped past her doing 50-60mph driving on the wrong side of the road (now this is on a 40mph road), driving like a complete nutter, she tried to follow the car and saw it go into the kia dealers, she them came home and told me. so i went to the Kia dealer and asked them what the f*** was going on with my car and why has it been taken out without me knowing about it, they said because the seat was replaced they had to check the compacity device (seatbelt beeper) was working and that this only works above 10MPH, so i asked why was my car being driven like it was in the way that it was, their reply was they dont know and they will speak to the technition who drove my car, they spoke to the technition who told them that he drove at 30-35 mph and not a mph more and the ass. manager said if that is what he said then i believe him, but i said that he will be saying that as he doesnt want to be loosing his job, and the ass. manager said even if he was doing that speed in your car there is no chance he would loose his job as the workers are all professinals and are fully insured for if anything happens to customers cars, so i will be going back tomorrow and speaking to the manager to sort this out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Theoretically you could call it TWOC....which in police speak is Taking Without Owners Consent. You gave consent for the car to be repaired and to be moved on there premises, but there's no real concent to go driving on the public roads. 10mph is pulling out the garage, to the next safe turning place and coming back. There fore they have no real need to be going 30mph let alone 50-60. If thats there excuse, couldnt they do it on there own premises? They obviously didnt need to do an all speed test of the ECU upgrade so they didnt even have due cause to use yourvehicleon public roads.As for being fully insured, it doesnt matter. If their commiting an illegal act (speeding) in a car they havent reallybeen grated permision to drive on the public road, i see it as TWOC. Which if you really wanted to go down that route is a criminal offence and not a driving offence. Its no different to your teenager taking your car for a spin withough you knowing, even if there legal(tax/MOT/insurance/license)to do so. I cant see many the police being to interested but welch police are a funny sort...might be worth getting intouch..or dropping a hint to the garage thats how mad you are.

Pity your wife never stopped to see him get out with the bags of fish and chips for the the staff's dinners!

·
Registered
536 Posts
also I'm 80% sure for there "insurance" to be valid they have to display their trade plateon the vehicle...was this the case?

Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thats where i bought mine
thought they were to good to be true.

Bloody dealers there all the same, hope you sort it out grim.Edited by: proac

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I bought myself a Pogo Alert+ for 2 reasons. The first was
because the Kph digits are so small I can select the Pogo to display Kph &
the police in France and Germany are very keen - on the spot fines.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

It also has a speed camera data base for France but not for
Germany.

But one additional function it has is it has a data logger
& logs were the car has been and can be overlaid onto Google maps...... My
car ended up in the pub car park at one of the service visits

·
Registered
260 Posts
Firstly let them know that they have lost your future business.

Second, don't complain to the manager. Complain to whoever ownd the dealership and copy the Head of Kia Complaints in.

Long story short but my wife was spoken to out of term by an Audi employee once when we were looking at cars one day so I emailed the owner of the franchise and copied it to Audi's Director of Customer Servicesa at their head office.

I got a phonecall within a day promising me they would check CCTV and an apology from the Head of their UK Operations with a promise the matter would be dealt with very seriously. I'm not saying you'll get the same treatment but go for the guys head in all manners.

Go way above this guys head and make sure he knows it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Personally, I'd say that they have a duty of care to road test it.
You'd be mightily peed off if they didn't road test it, and something was wrong with it.

Only my opinion.

·
Registered
844 Posts
tend to agree with keat99 its again only my opinion but seems a much of a do about nothing. Overtook on wrong side of road-- not sure if theres any other way to overtake. 50-60mph guy possibly just accelerated a bit to ensure safe overtaking. 50-60mph again expectthat'sa matter of opinion unless you have a radar gun. Drove like a nutter not sure how nutters drive but there must be more to it than that to call that one.? and no Idon'town agaragefull of nutter mechanics.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd certainly mention it to the police Grim, as you don't know if this alleged speeding was caught on a speed camera somewhere on its journey. The last thing you want is a ticket for speeding on top of this incident.
Regards, Mike

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You know what the garage manager will say "they all do that sir"

You are not the only one that this happens to most garages will road test a car and most will give it the berries especially if its a high performance car. Its only natural for the maniacs er mechanics or technicians as they are now called to "try it out" .
What is it you are hoping to achieve by your complaints regarding the driver. I hope its not to fire him as that is a bit cruel as no damage was done to machine or humans in this exercise.

·
Registered
260 Posts
toolpusher said:
not sure if theres any other way to overtake. QUOTE]

I assume he meant undertaking. Highway code is pretty clear on that one.

toolpusher said:
50-60mph guy possibly just accelerated a bit to ensure safe overtaking.

In a 40?

Easy for everyone to say its just what mechanics do, and it is, but its still wrong and if was your car would you not be p****d off? Bet you would.

·
Registered
844 Posts
had an old Granada 3 speed auto years ago , pride and joy, mechanic put it through the garage wall as he had never driven a auto before and wrote it of, loved that old car. Got several hundred £'s of garage insurance but yes I was quite p****d off so I know what your saying

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Dr Grim, This is not a criticism but my opinion, hope you don't take offence.
Most mechanics sorry technicians as has been stated, at one time or another will give a vehicle the beans regardless of where you go. You have been unfortunate to witness it and yes it is upsetting to see your pride & joy being thrashed. In my case it cost them a good interior exterior valet as payment and now we know where we stand and what I expect. I don't think (again in my opinion) going to extremes achieves much... well you don't have the joy of watching the mechanic being blind folded & shot. They now know that you expect a better standard of customer care.
And I am pretty damn sure the guy must have got a serious bollocking.
Don't know what sort of customer care your dealer has provided you up until now, but if it has been sub standard, then yes time to go elsewhere.
I am very happy with my current dealer, but I did own a Peugeot a number of years ago and this is what would want me to commit violence ""“ Being told / invoiced for work that had blatantly not been done and then lied too.
Not sure if you have a diesel, but this is what always brings a tear to my eye.... When a diesel goes in for MOT, they do an emissions test which involves red lining the engine under no load.
I am an engineer and have been working with all types of engines for 38 years and thrashing the nuts off an engine under no load is not very good practice ""“ but you have no choice in the matter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Taking 'ianv's point a little further it's pretty scarey watching your 'pride & joy' being revved to extremes during MOT emissions testing. My hope of preventing any lasting damage, and this also goes for 'racing garage road testers' is to try and deliver my car to the garage with a thoroughly warmed up engine. For this reason it's perhaps not always best to pick the closest dealership ....would not like to be the poor sod who drove Dr Grim's car! (Luckily we no loger have the death penalty!)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I used to work as a 'technician' in a garage and the workshop manager used to expect us to respect customers' cars. I once got a bollocking just for listening to the radio of one of the cars I was working on. Sometimes it was necessary to give a car some welly on a test run either to diagnose a problem or the prove that a problem had been fixed. However,unnecessarilydriving like a pillock would not have been tolerated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts