Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Has anyone looked into, or has actually completed a headlight upgrade on a 2016QLE sportage to the newer facelight LED headlights which have the eggbox cube running lights around the outside, and the more rectangular. Projector style light??

I really like these headlights and think it really improves the appearance of the car from the older shape but not sure if they are a straight swap? I also have the 4 model so the headlights are adaptive, and again not sure if all of the newer facelight headlights are also adaptive and if so will they just plug and play.

If anyone can advise this would be amazing.

Kind regards,
Craig

·
Registered
904 Posts
Be careful, adaptive lights were certainly available on the 2018 face lift models and until early 2020 models, but I think they have been dropped on the current cars (there is no mention of them in the specs).

Edit: I may have my years wrong, there is no mention of adaptive headlights in the owners handbook for my car, which is an early 2020 car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Highly unlikely to be plug and play - there will be coding on the BCM module (or whatever Kia use) and as your car pre-dates the LED lights a flash will be needed to update the programming, or possibly full replacement of the module. This is not something you'll get a dealer to do - it will need to be done by a 3rd party who knows their way around Kia modules & software.
You're unlikely to find anyone in the UK with such skills....

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Highly unlikely to be plug and play - there will be coding on the BCM module (or whatever Kia use) and as your car pre-dates the LED lights a flash will be needed to update the programming, or possibly full replacement of the module. This is not something you'll get a dealer to do - it will need to be done by a 3rd party who knows their way around Kia modules & software.
You're unlikely to find anyone in the UK with such skills....

Agree and good point about the BCM - it will complain of failed bulbs because the LED load is too light.

I suppose it could be done but this will be an expensive job and I am not even sure of the legality - although the headlamp assemblies obviously have been tested for compliance they were not tested in that model and on a technicality will therefore not be compliant (even if the beam patterns are correct). I dunno if MoT testers have lists of what is the correct lighting equipment for each vehicle (seems unlikely but with the increasing abuse of lights I can imagine it might be introduced).

It's probably cheaper to pex yours for the later model.

·
Super Moderator
3,302 Posts
If it is the whole unit that is changed then it should be OK.
But as has been posted already there is the software issue. But are the headlights the same design?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Copy/paste/ from polish "my sportage forum"

I have already replaced the lamps. Everything fits, mounts fit, plugs fit, no need to remove the bumper. The exchange took me about 20 minutes and I am not a mechanic but an amateur master. As for shine: The candle is much better than halogen originals. The effect is amazing, especially when driving through the forest at night. There is really a lot of light.
But in order not to be so colorful, Kia had to add its 2 cents. Namely: the directions in these full Led lamps are only 9 watts and it turned out that they flashed quickly and showed blown bulbs in the front directions. You need to buy 2 25W 6 Ohm resistors for LED indicators available on the Allegro. I bought two with a shipment for PLN 48. This special connector plugs into the cables ("+" direction and ground) and the problem disappears. The directions flash correctly and the bulb error disappears. You don't need to cut, solder or rework anything.
Now the question is is it worth it? In my opinion, it's worth it. Lamps candle really bright and, above all, even in the daytime with the lights off, the car looks much better. It looks nicer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another copy/paste from PL forum

...Full Led lamps with lift after lift fit perfectly to sportage before lift, ie 2016, 2017 and mid 2018. These two pins do not matter anymore. Everything works and shines. As for the heating of the lamps, when the lamp is lit (passing beam), the heat sink on the LED chip generates heat and the fan distributes it over the lamp, thus heating the "front glass" of the lamp, so I think winter will not be a problem. I have full leds for 3 weeks now and I am very happy....

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Thanks for posting Indiana. I am sorely tempted but still not sure about the legality. Still at least we know how now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Conversion to led in the UK is illegal and a MOT falure.
How so, when the 2018 model in the UK comes with them at certain spec levels?? We are not talking about upgrading the lamps, we are taking about upgrading the whole cluster to the newer KIA cluster. Also, the latest model comes with LED as standard again on certain spec levels. Lastly, how would an MOT center even know if the headlights are KIA branded and fitted to the car. Not convinced. Maybe read the post before commenting!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
As i understand .... Conversion to led.... led bulbs is illegal.

Checked by a few guys at other club that result isn't WOW and it is better to stay with genune lamps and hb3 bulbs.

Convesion to led headlamp is in my opinion something different, otherwise cars wouldn't be sold with led lamps, led matrix, etc.

Anyway at the end of a day whoever wants to change it, will do it. In case of any problem, just do not throw genuine lamps away :)

Thats all from my side :)

·
Super Moderator
3,302 Posts
Not if you are fitting a whole official headlight unit that are approved for the car. These are type approved and have the correct markings.
Fitting LED in your old unit that they were never designed for is though.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Somethng of an oversimplification. Fitting LED bulbs or HID bulbs to a lamp assembly nor designed for them is illegal, but what we have here is a complete replacement lamp cluster, as fitted to fully type appproved later models and apparenlty a direct fit to the older model. Please explain why such a lamp assembly is legal on a late model Sportage but not legal on an earlier, model which they fit perfectly with no modification.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Indiana

Where did you obtain the lamps and......what did they cost?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just ebay. Im waiting for price to drop to about 200£ for both. Than i will buy it and replace it. Probably this will happen when new nq5 is on sale :)

Curently NEW lamps before FL are around +100£, used can be below 100£

I will wait a few more months :) patience my friend.... Patience is a key to success 😜

·
Registered
88 Posts
From my days in automotive lighting this is my take on things.

The lamp would be "e approved" as a headlight / side light / direction indicator etc. This means that it is exactly that, it will need to meet certain test criteria when mounted in the vehicle. Once tested and approved it will have a number associated to the e approval that denotes function type (type approval headlight / sidelight etc). Providing the vehicles have the same dimensions to bodyline, then It Is likely to be OK to swap to another vehicle. Not knowing this I cannot comment. If the lamp is not mounted against the same of similar bodyline dimensions I would presume that the MOT test would find this at headlight test.
Further to this the whole vehicle will go through homologation (another type approval), the vehicle manufacturer will collate all of the type approval documents from the likes of front / rear lights, seatbelts etc. Parts manufacturers are normally self certified and the vehicle manufacturer will hold all of these on file as a package.

If you buy a unit from the USA for example it will be to their type approval in this case SAE, although similar to e approval, this could very likely differ in some way. It is likely that if a MOT tester is switched on and spotted an SAE approved item it would fail said MOT. In some instances lamps may meet various approvals all these would normally be marked on the outer surface of the unit indelibly, so could have e approval combined with SAE these can be used in various territories at the same time.

This was some time ago so things could have changed. As said it is as it used to be please don't take umbridge if it is now wrong due to elapsed time.

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is a ridiculous amount of scaremongering on this topic. If the beam pattern is good and they are an OEM-style 4-6000K colour temp, you’ll be fine.

These cars are common and half of them have LED from the factory, so it won’t stand out from the crowd at all. As long as the beam pattern is right, and you haven’t chosen bulbs with a stupidly high colour temperature, you are enormously unlikely to have any problems with the MOT. I have put several cars and bikes through multiple MOTs, at different testing stations, and never had so much as a comment let alone a fail.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts