Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Headlight Bulb 2018 Sportage

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  137699 
#1 ·
Hi gang!
As of yesterday i am now the proud owner of a Sportage GT Line 1.6Turbo Petrol model, (first registered in July 2018 so its not the latest facelift model)
It’s my first Kia and i love it!
but ive noticed the main headlights (Dip/Full Beam) are a slightly Yellow colour! Which look out of place next to the LED DRLs and Ice Cube LED fog lights! So I’m guessing they are basic Halogen Bulbs? I cant find anything in the manual about this! I really would have expected HID bulbs at the least on a vehicle of this spec!
can anyone confirm if they are Halogen, and if so what type ie H7 H1 etc? As if they Are hHalogen ill change them for some legal upgrade bulbs! I had Philps Xtreme vision on my last car and they were a much whiter, Brighter light!
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
As you suggest/know you will fail the MOT if you change the bulb type.
But even the entry level Stinger uses halogen and was one of the reasons I went for another version.for mine.

But choose upgrade halogens carefully as some are not legal in UK! 😕

#3 ·
Thanks, yes on my last car Ford Mondeo, that had standard Halogen bulbs, but I changed them for Philips Xtreme Vision H7s 55w & fully legal, but the light they gave off was much whiter than standard bulbs & they don't "Glare" like the aftermarket HID upgrade kits!
Its a shame Kia put standard Halogen bulbs in a 2018 Sportage that has LED DLRs & Fog lights! As the headlights look even more yellow compared with them!

#6 ·
I own the 1.6 t-gdi awd 2018.
i got pissed of with the yellowish headlight
so replaced it with HLXG Mini Canbus LED 6000K Lamp 9005 HB3
it looks perfect and no Dazzling.
It took me 10 mins to do the swap
CIB. Just be aware that the above would be illegal in the UK.
You can only replace with Halogen bulbs if that is what is factory fitted.

#7 ·
I own the 1.6 t-gdi awd 2018.
i got pissed of with the yellowish headlight
so replaced it with HLXG Mini Canbus LED 6000K Lamp 9005 HB3
it looks perfect and no Dazzling.
It took me 10 mins to do the swap
Careful with those. I bought the exact same HB3 LED replacement bulbs from HLXG and although they were very bright and didn't dazzle oncoming traffic, none of them lasted longer than 9 months! And I bougt a total of 3 pairs (1 pair for headlights, 1 for fog lights, and an extra pair for replacement). After about 9 months one light bulb started flickering, then another, then another and before I knew I had replaced them all.

#11 ·
I'm sure the Philips bulbs mentioned are good - I have had Philips high output bulbs on a previous car (Fiat 500) and they were indeed excellent.
The BEST legal bulbs I have found (but they are priced accordingly) are the PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs. They really light up the road well and in fact the pair that I bought in 2009 have actually been fitted now to 4 cars - they're currently on my son's Ka and have collectively covered over 200,000 miles now. So yes they were "ouch" when I bought them, but I think I've had my money's worth out of them - and they still perform brilliantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.