Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have had this car for nearly 5 years and every winter either both or one of the headlights or rear brake lights fail.
It seems to be a consistent issue. Not a massive issue just an annoying one.

One question I wanted to ask was does the KIA Pro Ceed 2008 have non standard headlamps?
I once went to Halfords and bought some of their Halogen lamps. However at the next MOT the mechanic said the car would have failed with them unless they changed them.
I can't remember as it was a while ago he said it was because my car needed dual filament bulbs?

Is it not possible to get dual filament halogen bulbs?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well it certainly used to be that some headlight bulbs had dual filaments, one for the dip beam and one for the main beam but I don't think that is recent practice. Anyway these have different fittings and it would not be possible for the incorrect type to fit and work. I think I wouold find another garage in future The handbook will specify the correct headlamp bulb and those are the ones you should fit.

How many bulb failures are you getting each year?

Are you fitting cheapo replacements?

·
Registered
51 Posts
According to this ...

The 2008 Pro'Ceed takes separate bulbs for high and dipped beam. H7 for dipped, and H1 for main. The only really common dual filament headlight bulb is H4, but you don't see that too often on more modern cars.

Generally speaking the higher performance bulbs such as Osram Nightbreakers or the various Philips xxx-Vision ones have a shorter life than the lower performance standard bulbs. If you live somewhere where the roads aren't in great shape and/or you use the lights a lot especially in winter that'll shorten the lifetime too.

The only "illegal" ones are those that aren't rated for road use and are usually higher wattage (100W vs 55W) and/or have a much whiter colour temperature, but you'd be unlikely to find these in Halfords.

BTW From what I've read, the Halfords high performance bulbs are quite good actually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts