Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Peeps

My dad has just bought a 2013 Sorrento which he's chuffed with. Having just had a drive myself I can understand why.

What he'd like to improve are the lights (dip / high beam), as he's 80 his eyes are not as good as they once were.

So I bought some HID for the dip and LED for the high beam. The problem I'm having is with the clip. Usually bulbs are held in with a metal springy clip, these bulbs are held in place with an outer plastic unit. The new bulbs plug into this for supply but because of there construction can't use it as the securing clip.

I wondered if anyone else had fitted these type bulbs and how they secured them.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
I take it that this is into reflector units?

If it is then it is not a legal set up.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
As previous post this is illegal fitting for use on the public highway. If you read the small print reputable sellers state not road legal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it that this is into reflector units?

If it is then it is not a legal set up.
I have asked my seller about legality but how do you mean "if they enter the reflector", don't normal bulbs do this?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Your headlights are designed for the element of the bulb to reflect light off the reer reflector in the lamp and the headlamp unit has the CE approval mark on the lens. Led lights with CE approval have a different type reflector. Fitting LEDs in your headlight is illegal as will throw a different beam of light. Our family being in the car trade I can assure this is correct.

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
I have asked my seller about legality but how do you mean "if they enter the reflector", don't normal bulbs do this?
A Halogen bulb produces light in a certain place.
HID's & LED produce their light in a different place. Thus you can get a very poor beam pattern and cause issues for on coming drivers.

Been there done that with both reflector (bike) & projector headlights (car) and gone back to (Uprated) standard bulbs as they were better at lighting the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your input. I have now read on Google comments which support yours. I appreciate your assistance ?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
There are proper EU compliant halogen bulbs which give more light - Osram and Phillips offer a range some of which are not road legal but the ones at the lower end of the brighness are road legal. This is achieved at the expense of shorter bulb life but they give a whiter light than standard halogens too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts