Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife took our 2008 Carens in to the dealer today and has been quoted £40.00 for a main beam bulb replacement. She queried the cost and was told "the headlamp is not easily accessable"
Is it a difficult job?

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's a real simple job, as long as you have a 10m socket handy!

Undo 2 bolts which are very easy to spot,remove the round black plastic bulb cover, then undo the 2 power leads which both have quick release clips, then take the complete headlight unit out taking care not to drop it! Change the bulb & reassemble, I do mine in approx 5 mins now!

·
Registered
476 Posts
http://...discountcarbulbs.../brandsearch.asp?BrandStr=h7

Bulbs here are £1 each inc. p&p (if you buy a pack of 10 which is cheaper than a single 1 at halfords!), can't get amuch better deal than that!

PS: Don't go for the 75/100w ones, they melt the lamp from the inside, trust me on this one!

·
Registered
476 Posts
PPS! The link is for the "dipped" beam bulb & not main beam, the procedure for changing is however as simple as described!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Breakdown of parts & labour?

·
Registered
476 Posts
swanny65 said:
Bulb £11.71 + VAT
Labour £21.60 + VAT

Not a bad profit markup then!

Minimum of £10 profit on the bulb & £21.60 for a 5 min job, I'm in the wrong trade!

(& before anyone tells me about garage overheads & trained technicians etc. I do understand they have to make a profit!)

DIY next time, it really is very simple, why not try it before you need to replace a bulb to get some practice?

Mark.

·
Registered
99 Posts
name and shame thats what i say there are times when a garage extracts a kidney while they are about it ,and thats just why these forums are required

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, Supacabby, sorry but this is going to sound stupid. I tried to change the dipped lamp as per the user handbook(in situ). I unscrewed the plastic cap and tried to remove it but part of the bulkhead got in the way, I then proceeded to drop the damn thing into the void below. Some hours later after jacking up the car and rummaging around with the kind help of a neighbour we got the cap outfrom underneath, along with a bulb I also dropped in there. We managed to change the dipped bulb in situ (minus a few bits of skin) but of course now I cant get the cap back on because it can only be mounted from behind and not the front in the small space between the bulkhead and where the cap should be mounted. How do you get the assembly out so I can replace the cap, do you have any photos of said nuts or bolts you have to remove to get the unit out. As a very crap DYI man it is not apparent which ones to remove. Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
I haven't got any pics but look for 2 black bolts, 10mm, without being sarcastic they are "obvious" when you look for them, 1 on the top & 1 slightly to 1 side. Once these areremoved the unit will slide out to the front, as said before use a towel or similar over the bumper to protect it from possible scratching.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome to the scrapped knuckles club!

As a fully fledged member you can now laugh at those who don't know the bulb change secret!

As Mark says, it's simple when you know how.

Next time ,ask here first

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Supacabby, I looked at the headlight unit this morning in what we loosely describe as daylight here in Scotland. I saw the 2 bolts straight away, one was on the top and the other at the front of the unit but as I made such a mess of it yesterday and I had a 6 hour drive to Manchester ahead of me, I took it to our really friendly village garage. I pointed out the bolts and said it was a cabbies advice how to remove or move the unit and he said "if it's a cabbies advice then thats the way to do it" 5 minutes later, cap back in place and I got to see how to do it next time. Cost, nothing but a couple of cream cakes for his tea break. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Glad you got it sorted, hope the 6 hour drive went ok.

·
Registered
476 Posts
mattbennett said:
driver side is easy passenger side must have the battery moved for access
If you're talking about a Mk3 there is no need to remove the battery, just unbolt the headlamp unit & slide out, as previously detailed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts