Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Anyone have any thoughts on this head unit and whether you think they’re largely plug n play? I’m after CarPlay, satnav and DAB functionality on a budget. I realise they maybe import taxes.
Best regards

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
91 Posts
They're not all they've cracked up to be. My dad and father in law got a similar one. Said it had car play and android auto but required a dongle that was an extra 60 quid. They tend to be slow. The navigation (if it has it built in) tends to be an old.version of igo maps. You be better off spending a bit more and getting a kenwood or pioneer unit. I know they might not looks as feature full, but the functionality is loads better. These tend to be basically a small tablet with a lower spec than advertised and the wiring is a pain in the bum

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're not all they've cracked up to be. My dad and father in law got a similar one. Said it had car play and android auto but required a dongle that was an extra 60 quid. They tend to be slow. The navigation (if it has it built in) tends to be an old.version of igo maps. You be better off spending a bit more and getting a kenwood or pioneer unit. I know they might not looks as feature full, but the functionality is loads better. These tend to be basically a small tablet with a lower spec than advertised and the wiring is a pain in the bum
Cheers Yan 101. Can you recommend any Kenwood or Pioneer units specifically? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
91 Posts
Cheers Yan 101. Can you recommend any Kenwood or Pioneer units specifically? Much appreciated.
Check out the pioneer sph da 230 dab. Its in halfords for £390 has apple car play. Android auto.

My car has sat nav. But to be honest. You don't need DAB or sat nav if you have android auto and apple car play. They use your phones Google maps or other compatible map app which is always up to date. You can use tune in radio for dab stations. Albeit I beleive that unit has dab. It will also accept a revering camera. The other option is to get a kia head unit for that year what will fit in its place. Id personally go for an aftermarket unit.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
If you have a smart phone. Then just look for a head unit that has Android Auto or Apple Car Play and use your phone for navigation.
At least with these they are up to date maps, unlike many of the navigation systems.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cheap Chinese units have a nasty habit of catching fire.
Stick to know brands like Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts