Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This is my first post and I have reluctantly registred here because I am now lost about what to do. I bought an 04 Sedona 2.9D 3 weeks ago as my wife and I foster and needed a seven seater. When I test drove it all seemed fine but the heating blew cold. I mentioned it to the guy at the garage (small private dealer in Perthshire) and he said that he didn't know enough but would either get a mechanic to look at it the following day or would knock a few hundred quid off the price if I wanted to get it looked at myself. As we were speaking, the heating came on and I thought nothing else of it (being a complete novice with cars). As I drove the car home it went into limp home mode after approx 20miles. I called a friend who knows more than me about cars than me as I was struggling along the hard shoulder at 20 mph who advised getting the car staight over for a once over. When I got there he noticed that there was not a drop of water in the radiator and filled it with 7.5 litres. I drove the car home (with heating after a few miles) and went back a few days later where we (he)changed the thermostat (start with the cheap things he advised) which proved to be ok anyway on testing in a pot of boiling water. To make matters worse, when I turned it over on his command to check what was going on...........I had left it in gear and the car decided to leap forward at his garage wall leaving a nasty dent in the front bumper (the bodywork of the car was all that it had going for it at this point and I had managed to destroy that also).

Anyway, I have since bitten the bullet and had it into a Kia garage who have conducted an hours diagnostic check and told me that the cylinderhead has gone and it willbe £1200 torepair but I only paid £2000 for he car. The car is ideal in every other way (ideal for what we need) and I would prefer to get it fixed rather than start looking again.

1. Should I take the car back (bearing in mind I've dented it since)

2. Get other quotes from private mechanics

3.Does anyone know of a trust worthy mechanic in the Falkirk/Bathgate/Stirling area?

Any help and advice would be welcome as we have a very expensive ornament siting out in our drive a the minute

Thanks,

Stuart.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. Head gasket kit from ebat. "the gasket shop" about £50. They are good I have used them twice before. Then it's down to time. I learnt on the job over a period o 1 week and saved a lot. Or ask a local mechanic on a fixed time basis to fit your own gasket. Do not 'skim' the cylinder head. If you require a replacement I have one £250 delivered. Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, update on the situation. I called the garageI bought the car from today and brought them up to speed. The guy seemed genuine enough andI got the impression that he was genuinely gutted that he had sold me a car with major problems.He spoke to a mechanic that he uses and said that he could get the head gasket fixed for £430 or £800 (all going smoothly) to do the head gasket, timing belt and water pump. Is this fair and is passing on the timing belt and water pump really an option?
Doing the job myself is not an option eitherby the way as my knowledge extends to putting in oil and screen wash.

Edited by: Scooter

·
Registered
8 Posts
hiya...just suffered exactly the same problems as you described..Mine's in for a Head Gasket too..but £983 (inc vat)...but that includes Timing Belt and Water Pump.
You have to take the belt off to do the head, and it's around the water pump...so if that went you'd have to do the belt again...(pump itself isn't that expensive)..
so i reckon if you can stump the £800, i'd get them all done...then at least you know your pump and belt are good for 50>60k miles..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi we all seem to have been through the mill with the dreaded head gasket .a total headache when they go wrong .mine a 2.9crdi went last year and I did the cheap things first ie thermostat , fan switch ,waterpump then I bit the bullet and took the head off only to find the gasket had a crack in it .so after advice from a garage to skim the head I went for that option .the injectors were welded into the head with carbon tried everything to get them out but to no avail .so ordered a second hand head on eBay which is spare in my garage .couldn't get car to run so got second hand engine which to which the big bus lives again .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts