Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I've a 2004 2.9 CRD sedona..which has started doing strange things with the temp gauge.
It's happily run normal since i got it (3 years ago) and coming home from shopping one day (15 mile round trip)..the temp went up to 3/4 hot and the car went into limp mode..
after a minute or so it would drop down to 1/2 (normal) and i'd get power back...then another minute or so, it would go back up to 3/4 limp mode again...and it would keep doing that until i stopped and turned the car off...
next day it would happily drive me 50 miles with no problem...and then the temp would creep up and i'd be back in limp mode again..
I also noticed there wasn't any heat in the car..
I replaced the thermostat and filled up the water and all seemed well for a couple of days (60 miles)..then it went be into the temp going up and down again.
my mechanic friend and I did some experimenting and found that the expansion tank would just fill up and never go down..
we also found that there would be loads of pressure in the cooling system...he did the gas test to check for the head gasket going..but it showed nothing..
so i'm stumped...could it be the head gasket or a cracked head? is there anything i can check without taking the head off? (there's no mayo in the oil cap)..
don't want to go down the expensive route of getting the head done...if i can avoid it..

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
536 Posts
silly as it sounds..you checked the fan is coming on? nothing stoping the blades spinning? just with you saying saying it would go up and down made me think it could be an electrical fault thats intemitent. shopping trip in town, low speed building up temp with no fan to lower the temp but 50mile run wherethe speed is higher the radiator doesnt need the fan ect.doesnt explain the expansion tank filling and not depleating though. strange one. Hope you find the fault, keep us informed Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
422 Posts
As Richie says have you looked at the cooling fan - if the coolant temperature is rising enough for the car to go into limp mode surely the fan would cut in and reduce the temperature- could be the fan or the temperature sensor that operates the fan - are you sure the thermostat is ok - appreciate you have replaced it but could still be defective. Why not try running it with the stat removed and see what happens. I had a problem a while back with a poor heater and found that the rubber seal on the small coolant pressure cap was damaged and not sealing properly - when I opened the cap the coolant level was lower than it should be, but only by a very small amount and this was effecting the heater. Replaced the cap and all was fine. The interesting thing was that the large coolant reservoir was still showing full and obviously was not replacing the coolant I was losing!

Edited by: alcutler

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry..should have said...the fan always comes on..and seems to stop as soon as the engine turns off...in fact its running when temp is normal..

·
Registered
422 Posts
PhilC said:
Sorry..should have said...the fan always comes on..and seems to stop as soon as the engine turns off...in fact its running when temp is normal..
Are you sure you haven't got an air lock in the coolant system - pretty basic but can cause problems
Is the radiator ok ie both the top and bottom hoses getting hot - could be a blocked rad

Edited by: alcutler

·
Registered
310 Posts
Could be the pipes to the rear heater thes rust and loose water, seams like they need replacing every 3 years or so and are not cheap!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys...typically I've gone on holiday for the week so won't be able to try / investigate until the weekend

Thanks all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i've taken the thermostat out completely...and flushed the whole system as best i could..then refilled it..took it for a 15 minute drive and it started 'limping' again...
the expansion tank (which was empty) was completely full and i noticed that top and bottom radiator hoses were warm
i have noticed...if i fill the coolant via the filler (not the expansion tank) as soon as the car starts running....water gushes out...

(but i took it for it's mot and it only failed on a tire!)...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Check the thermostat by dropping into very hot water (temp on thermostat) if it opens stick it back. But what you are describing is a head gasket failure. There is no test that is 100% sure to point to head gasket failure, only those that indicate failure!Another method I use is, first thing in the morning (engine cold) fill the water system to the brim with water ( making sure the previous evening to eliminate any air locks). By squeesing a few pipes to again eliminate settled air lock, continue to fill the expansion tank to the top and leave the cap off.
Keep an eye on the level in the tank, start the engine up without revving. Notice if water is ejected from the tank. Worse the gasket has blown , worse the dissipation obviously.
You can only carry this method out for a few minutes at the most, because, as every one knows water expands with heat so would be ejected in any case.
I have used this method successfully many times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi all...quick update.Local garage did a load of diagnostics on it and Head Gasket has gone...so it's in to be fixed (£983 inc VAT)
hey ho..

·
Registered
702 Posts
PhilC said:
hi all...quick update.Local garage did a load of diagnostics on it and Head Gasket has gone...so it's in to be fixed (£983 inc VAT)
hey ho..
Nearly a £1000 to do a head gasket!!!!!! what are they using for a head gasket ? beaten 24 karrot gold done on a virgins knee whilst she bathes in asses milk??. the gasket kits are around £100-130 around 5-6 hours labour and I'm almost sure I read some where on here Murphwiz said the sedona's head won't stand being skimmed due to the low tolerance of the head. It seems an alwful lot for a head gasket job

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. Gasket £50-60(full kit). Timing belt £50-60. I could only change the channels on the radio when I got my Sedona. Did HG and belt my self over a period of days. Saved £445 on the timing belt alone, however, DO Not skim the cylinder head.
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i had a couple of quotes from local garages and both came in just shy of the grand...i guess they're going on what their computers tell them for hours (2 days) as they haven't done sedona HGs before..and they won't be shopping around for parts...plus they said they need new head bolts £8 a pop.
and it'll have a full engine service done..
would love to try and do it myself (done it on my old mini many many times!) but i just dont have the time to spare..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wondering if you could update me on your current state, did you have the HG done and did it cure the problem? I have an 02 Sedona LX Turbo diesel, very similar problem.Many thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi all, i had exactly the same problems with my 2003 auto...got the hg, a friend who rebuilds engines did the job for me for £530 + £60 for hg kit..
took the head off, removed 3 of the 4 injectors... 4th was a biatch to remove and split....
once he had managed to get the bottom of the injector out of the hole he pressure tested the head... it was actually cracked and had seized the injector in. so its not always the hg.....
got another head from a scrappers in dewsbury... but... 2 injectors stuck....
hes going to have a bash at getting them out tomorrow so will update you.
im hoping its not cracked internally again... head was £200 from a scrappers :(
but did get a 7 day return on it... injectors where £75 each from same scrappers.
so dont always assume its an head gasket... apparently sedonas are prone to cracked heads if you run them wondering why water is spurting from the edder tank.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
In the trade you assume that it's the head gasket that's gone (after other test's have been carried out), because it's the most common failure! You then also mention to the customer as the worst case scenario that's it could be a cracked head, but' why stop there? It could be a cracked block, as common as a cracked head!These cracks cannot be diagnosed before being pressure tested! Also whoever replaces a head gasket without getting the head tested is asking for trouble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts