Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, had a look back over some pages to see if this has been discused before but could not find. My 2006 sedona 2.9 diesel has just started to loose water but running fine, done the usual checks for leaks but non found,so at the weekend i took out the thermostat just in case it was not working,when i run the engine with rad cap off seem to get some bubbles appearing then when cap replaced and engine run top hose seems to pressurise and water froths up and then dumps into bottle, is this the head gasket gone or is there a possibility that it may be someting else,seems to beno oil in water or vica versa. If it is the head gasket what cost to have done.
Cheers

Trevsmate

p.s. please someone put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. Same has happened to me twice in last 7 months. Yes head gasket. !st time engine seized. New/second hand engine from sedona gary. 2nd time same, each time signs and symptoms as you state.
I know nothing about mechanicy things at the time but did not have an endless pocket...So I worked through and took off parts and engine head and replaced head gasket ect.. myself. Saved about £400-£500+. I did a bit every day so not to loose it. The gasket kit was off e bay (I will post details when I find docs) I did not have the head skimmed this time as somewhere on this site it was recommended not to as the tolerances are not there to reduce compression ect. Car ok this time. I have put into Kia Blackpool for a 'Gold' service28th Decas a treat and healthcheck.
I have a good cylinder head from sedona gary I do not need. Let me know if you interested.
Job may seem daunting but label,bag and make sure to colour tipex timing points. Let me know if you takle it and I prob can give you info of practical help.
Through this I have 'ammunition' info when talking to thedealership.
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thats the smile out of the way...
E Bay today,29th Dec, Head Gasket Kit £57.50 postage £8.50 usually next day. From shirley9293 'THE GASKET SHOP' Chorley New Rd Bolton BL14TR 08455046565.
They only sell gaskets. The e bay add shows the kits and cars. The kit has everything in for head gasket, exhaust gaskets,water gasket, turbo gasketsand if brave valve redo stuff. They have sold thousands of gaskets and have a 99% feedback rate.
Hope Helps
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi again. Double check heater pipes from thermo to the matrix front and back. May have air lock but mine after checking was the gasket as it did dump into the filler bottle them blow it out.
On return from the service for about £30-£40 I am replacing the pipes front to back...there are posts on this ont he site from past members and some brill photos of a repair too.
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies stevegx, got to give it some thought now as to what to do, just going to back flush radiator system this weekend, one never knows it might be that. Dont fancy tackling job myself as getting a little older for that sort of thing now and the weather a bit too cold at the moment. Will try to check out costs in the new year.
Thanks anyway.

Trevsmate

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is a bit worrying, my 'tank' has been losing water for a while now, goes from 'max' to 'min' in about a month.Theres no bubbles in the tank when its running, no visible leaks anywhere, so were is the water going??

I hope its not the HG, are they a weak point?

·
Registered
390 Posts
m623d said:
This is a bit worrying, my 'tank' has been losing water for a while now, goes from 'max' to 'min' in about a month.Theres no bubbles in the tank when its running, no visible leaks anywhere, so were is the water going??

I hope its not the HG, are they a weak point?
Could be HG, after changing mine and NOT having the head skimmed, and as of yesterday the Kia dealers have stated no engine smoke ect.But I have been loosing water 1 - 2 ltrs over a few days. I am quite sure now that the steel pipes under the car are coroded and 'seep' water out when the heaters are on.
SOI am going to change the entire cooling pipes from front to rear,this is quicker than finding a leak. Hose from (spit, spit) Halfords is £2.50 per metre and a few dub clips and done. This should take about 1 hour max including tea and pee breaks.
There are previous posts about the heater pipes and good pics to on the site. The time I have been bothering about the leaks I could have fixed 10 times over by now. I am oldish and for £20 - £30 have peice of mind.
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
155 Posts
Im quickly getting fed up of this car, never had to do so much maintenance.Rear shocker top bushes, Starter solenoid, now poss water leak!
What next?
Shame aswell, cause I like the car and thought Id done well getting a low mileagec(40k) se+ thats had the cambelt done

·
Registered
390 Posts
m623d said:
Im quickly getting fed up of this car, never had to do so much maintenance.Rear shocker top bushes, Starter solenoid, now poss water leak!
What next?
Shame aswell, cause I like the car and thought Id done well getting a low mileagec(40k) se+ thats had the cambelt done
Hi Rear shocks see earlier posts and pics..£20.
Starter solenoid repair kit £13.
Since April 2011 I have put a second engine in and my 3rd time belt 3rd HG replaced gear cables and the car is now in Kia Dealers for 'remedial work '£830. Then when done there I will have a tinker with it too. I have thought of changing car but when got rid of my Nissan this year the Sedona does everything I need I love the drive and am sticking with it.
I have only driven mine for about 2 months since April 2011 the rest of time sorting out faults and repairs. When I bought mine I did not know how to change the oil....but now I have replaced CHG ect one step at a time so it does not become a headache.
I am a local Coastguard and Helicopter Saftey Diver and have used the buses through all the works on the car. Locking a head to driving 'happy' it will be worth it than driving something I do not like that is cheap.
Thanks Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
390 Posts
stevegx said:
m623d said:
What next?
Hi Rear shocks see earlier posts and pics..£20.
Starter solenoid repair kit £13.
Since April 2011 I have put a second engine in and my 3rd time belt 3rd HG replaced gear cables and the car is now in Kia Dealers for 'remedial work '£830. Then when done there I will have a tinker with it too. I have thought of changing car but when got rid of my Nissan this year the Sedona does everything I need I love the drive and am sticking with it.
I have only driven mine for about 2 months since April 2011 the rest of time sorting out faults and repairs. When I bought mine I did not know how to change the oil....but now I have replaced CHG ect one step at a time so it does not become a headache.
I am a local Coastguard and Helicopter Saftey Diver and have used the buses through all the works on the car. Locking a head to driving 'happy' it will be worth it than driving something I do not like that is cheap.
Thanks Steve Gx Blackpool
Hi. Just remembered m623d...the shock pics are yours

Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. I am going to use your pics for the rear shock bushes, quoted £131.02 at Blackpool Kia.
Ihave the removal andfitting of the HG and all that involves engained in my grey matter, short cuts and where things are ect...I replaced timing belt at same time. Timing belt replacement at Blackpool Kia is...............................£445.50.Timing belt, good one from e bay, £47 and my time.
I have found it best to do one job at a time and then a few hours a day.
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on HG am not entirely convinced it is the HG so is there a way to tell if it is definately the HG. Car runs well , no oil in water,seems to froth up water but does not always dump out,also radiator does not seem to be getting hot as if circulation is poor, question could faulty water pump give similar symptons, also if i take to garage and say i think the HG as blown do they just do it on my say so or do they check for something i am not aware of.Hope someone can help
Happy New Year to all.
Trevsmate

·
Registered
399 Posts
Trevsmate said:
Update on HG am not entirely convinced it is the HG so is there a way to tell if it is definately the HG. Car runs well , no oil in water,seems to froth up water but does not always dump out,also radiator does not seem to be getting hot as if circulation is poor, question could faulty water pump give similar symptons, also if i take to garage and say i think the HG as blown do they just do it on my say so or do they check for something i am not aware of.Hope someone can help
Happy New Year to all.
Trevsmate

It does sound like the HG has blown, blocked rad was the norm in the olden days with cat iron engines and anti freeze only in winter months, I would not suspect the rad if the water is clean with antifreeze.
A garage will check your system with the appropriate colour sedimentor (that is if they have one) the colour of the water in the sedimentor changes with any evidence of exhaust gasses in the cooling system.
I have also seen the water pump impeller fail on pumps, but on a very rare occasion.

·
Registered
195 Posts
the couple of proper motorfactors round me will do this test for you (not sure is its a sedimentor, but they put a sniffer type ting over the hole for your rad and run the engine, gases bubble through a liquid that changes colour if exhaust gas is detected) cost me about £5 3 or 4 years ago, well worth it for me, as I changed my own H/G (albeit not a sedona at that point)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all for the replies, just a quickie now (story of my life) light on dash says fuel sedimentor needs draining ,only not to sure where it is or how to drain, picture might help, thanks if you can help.Trevsmate

·
Registered
399 Posts
Under bonnet drivers side, just in front of the suspension turret, there is a cylindrical container (similar in size to a red bull can) with three pipes on top. Underneath this fuel filter is a wide plastic knurled screw with wires. Disconnect the wiring plug unscrew the plastic knurled screw and let the liquid drain, it will be a combination of water and diesel. The filter can be changed if due.Refit the plastic screw, carefully not to cross thread, connect the electrical connector. On one of the fuel pipes connected to the top of the filter there is a rubber priming bulb, this is several inches towards the front of vehicle. Priming is carried out by squeezing the rubber bulb, fluid is then pumped into the filter. You can take the other pipe off the filter so that you can see when the filter is full, refit the pipe and pump the bulb a few more times. Air will not be completely removed from the filter until a considerable amount of miles has been driven. This is the case even though the fuel is self bleeding.

·
Registered
195 Posts
just to add, you may need to repeat this process, it might fire up for a few seconds and die, re-prime and it should be fine.
Mininut, if you have a solution for this let me know, I never manage to get mine primed first time (couldn't on my 406 either)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts