Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys had my 64 reg, Proceed GT now for over 3 years now . In July of this year i had it remapped by Remap kings , at the time the car had only done 36k miles full history no issues what so ever .After the remap all good or so i thought last week or so been using coolant , has not got hot on gage but overfill tank filling . Sent into Kia hopping it would be stuck thermostat . But told today blown head gasket. and as its remapped warranty void . Cost for repairs over £4k, as my need new head . Remap kings can not think why this could happen but it has now left with massive bill. so think long and hard before remap
118346893_3798481610168568_4193144959726829113_o (3).jpg
e think long and hard before remapping your GT

·
Registered
446 Posts
Can’t you just have the head gasket replaced by an independent.?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Agree with Sad - replacing head gasket and possible skimming head should be nowhere near to 4k. Are they proposing to replace the whole engine? Take it to an indy for an opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree with Sad - replacing head gasket and possible skimming head should be nowhere near to 4k. Are they proposing to replace the whole engine? Take it to an indy for an opinion.
They have said that is the worst case. hopefully the head may not need replacing. Still cant believe its failed . ok the remap added about 31 bhp, the remappers remap kings who are very reputable, do a full heath check before remapping, and on a car at under 40k miles with full history . Now if it was a old ST with over 100k then yep but on this

·
Registered
146 Posts
Damn! A lot of people have had their GT's remapped and never had issue, from what I've been told

Are you sure you didn't have an issue before the remap and why would you blame the remap anyways?

Hope everything goes better for you!

·
Registered
302 Posts
The remap probally didnt have anything to do with it, but was always going to be a problem for any warranty issues. its the downside of having a non standard car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Damn! A lot of people have had their GT's remapped and never had issue, from what I've been told

Are you sure you didn't have an issue before the remap and why would you blame the remap anyways?

Hope everything goes better for you!
Well only had it remapped in July so only done about 1500 miles since map , And Kia said must be remap , but they would say that . Car only covers about 6k miles a year and serviced every year. Really like this car , only remapped to give that little extra punch . Silly really i have a Saleem Mustang as my weekend fun car , so maybe should of left the Little GT alone

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The remap probally didnt have anything to do with it, but was always going to be a problem for any warranty issues. its the downside of having a non standard car.
I was thinking about having the remap removed , but Remap kings who done say the map would not do this , not sure what to do when i get it back

·
Registered
146 Posts
It could either be a crap remap or a underlying fault none related to the remap, im planning on getting mine remapped, hopefully this doesn't happen

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It could either be a crap remap or a underlying fault none related to the remap, im planning on getting mine remapped, hopefully this doesn't happen
Ill tell you what i know , the remap as i said was done by remap kings , great reviews its also what they call bench remap so the remove the ECU rather then just a down load .Because its a bit involved there top guy done it. No issues in running ie no EML light coming on, no issue on acceleration all smooth pulled like a train not far from my Mustang that well over 300 BHP . Here is the thing it never showed hot on the Dash always normal . Just started over filling the overfill tank . first i thought it was a iffy rad cap . Here is a link the Remap kings

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Regardless of Remap Kings' and your opinion as to the cause of the fault, I can completely understand why KIA would not accept a warranty claim on a remapped engine. They do not know what has been done to it and will have no interest in investigating that.

It might be a co-incidence and that failure perha[ps was going to happen anyway but this is a risk of modding. I presume that Remap Kings are also not offering a warranty.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Interesting.........there have been folk on here who believe that there is no way a KIA dealer would go to the trouble of checking for a re-map so clearly your experience would suggest that at least one dealer can and does.

So fingers crossed that a head gasket and possibly head skim will do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Interesting.........there have been folk on here who believe that there is no way a KIA dealer would go to the trouble of checking for a re-map so clearly your experience would suggest that at least one dealer can and does.

So fingers crossed that a head gasket and possibly head skim will do the trick.
I wonder if they simply replace the ECU with their own. Given Op said "what they call bench remap so the remove the ECU rather then just a down load "
A search seems to imply that the ECU is opened up and new chips put it.
So I would guess a standard part of checking is a diagnostics and that should show changes to the ECU, or at the very least NON Kia chips in place.
Or a visual check showed ECU being opened up. Which would result in a more in depth check.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I wonder if they simply replace the ECU with their own. Given Op said "what they call bench remap so the remove the ECU rather then just a down load "
A search seems to imply that the ECU is opened up and new chips put it.
So I would guess a standard part of checking is a diagnostics and that should show changes to the ECU, or at the very least NON Kia chips in place.
Or a visual check showed ECU being opened up. Which would result in a more in depth check.
With some ECUs not all of the firmware can be updated externally - it is necessary to gain access inside either to remove a PROM for re-programming and re-installation or to force a chip into write mode. Very much doubt that there are such things as KIA chips but some may carry KIA specific part numbers or labels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With some ECUs not all of the firmware can be updated externally - it is necessary to gain access inside either to remove a PROM for re-programming and re-installation or to force a chip into write mode. Very much doubt that there are such things as KIA chips but some may carry KIA specific part numbers or labels.
Remap kings tell me they can remove it and set it back to how it was , i am sure the will be more news this week from repairs on its are all panning out

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well a bit more news on my car Kia told me the worst case , could of been a new short block. cylinder head etc at a cost of over £4800.

But the short block is fine , so that's a relief. How ever it will be having a new Cylinder head.. The Gasket failed between N0 3&4 cylinders . I asked do they feel the remap caused it to failed . The told me the fault code of P1111 was up and the cylinders over pressure . I have also been talking to Remapkings , and giving them this information . The car should be ready early next week as had to wait for some Gaskets to come in. Then i feel regrettably i will have to have the remap removed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts