Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Can anyone help me with a problem I am having with my new 2010 kia Sedona 3??

The problem I am having with my vehicle is that I can do 1000 miles and I get a noise from the exhaust, it sounds like I have got a blow in the back box and it will last for about 20 miles and then the noise goes away. I have also noticed that when the automatic gearbox changes gear when the noise is there you can fill the gear change, but when the noise isn't there the gear change is really smooth.

The vehicle is a disabled conversion and was done by Brotherwoods, it has already been back to them about it and they have changed the exhaust.
So is there anyone out their that may know the problem??

·
Registered
662 Posts
DOES IT HAVE A SHORTER THAN STANDARD EXHAUST ON THE CAR? IF SO ITS TO DO WITH THE BACK PRESSURE SEEN ON THE EXHAUST SIDE OF THE TURBO WE CHASED A SIMULAR PROBLEM ON A SEDONA WITH A REAR LIFT, FITTED THE STANDARD EXHAUST BACK ON AND IT WAS SUPER SMOOTH UNFORTUNATLY THE STANDARD PIPE HITS THE LIFT SO THE CUSTOMER TOOK IT BACK TO THE CONVERTERS NEVER SAW THE CAR AGAIN SO DONT KNOW IF THEY CURED IT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, all I can tell you is that the exhaust has been modified by going around the wheelchair conversion, it has been back to the conversion company and they changed the exhaust on it. Also while it was there I mentioned about some other noises that the vehicle is making, which they found I needed two new springs and they tell me Kia did a modification on the springs.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />Anyway, getting back to the exhaust problems I have spoken to my Kia dealer about it and I have also told Brotherwood the noise is still there. The Kia dealer has said they haven't come across any problems with the Sedona, but they don't get many disable conversion's come in. Brotherwood said out of 150 vehicles they have converted, my vehicle is the only one that is giving this trouble, but by being in the motortrade the vehicle doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that's what Brotherwood told me and the dealership who did this for them, which was FJ Chalks of Yeovil. But after saying this I wasn't too impressed with them when I brought the vehicle from Brotherwood's because they had to get FJ Chalks to register it for me, which took four weeks to do because someone forgot to fill the form in properly with the DVLA and I only found this out when I spoke to DVLA asking the reason why there was a delay for registering my private plate on my vehicle.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />Anyway, Viking Paul what kia dealership do you work at?? I was down in Southampton last week and was near a kia dealership, which my father and I was going to pop in to see if they have come across my problem with my kia.

·
Registered
422 Posts
]
Well, that's what Brotherwood told me and the dealership who did this for them, which was FJ Chalks of Yeovil. But after saying this I wasn't too impressed with them when I brought the vehicle from Brotherwood's because they had to get FJ Chalks to register it for me, which took four weeks to do because someone forgot to fill the form in properly with the DVLA and I only found this out when I spoke to DVLA asking the reason why there was a delay for registering my private plate on my vehicle.

Ask them for a copy of the Kia bulletin that would have been sent out to dealers - My dealer hadn't heard of a brake mod on Sedonas until I managed to get a copy of the information sent out from Kia and stuck it under their noses - and even then I had to do it myself!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
Edited by: alcutler

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi- interested to read your post- I also have a brotherwood kia sedona 3 with the same blown exhaust noise problem. was told it is due to doing short journeys and exhaust is clearing itself out- sound awful! the new exhaust did not fix it then?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Well, I was in the motor trade and I have been speaking to many of my mechanics I know of and they tell me the Volkswagen does the same thing with cleaning its self in the exhaust. But they tell me that you can tell when Volkswagen is cleaning it self because the performance isn't very good for 2 miles and doesn't make the noise like I am getting.

But I have just read your message and I actually get the noise after I have been doing motorway work and doing a steady speeds of 80 mph, when you slow down to 40 mph or 30 mph the noise comes up like a big bore exhaust. Also I could do motorway work for 900 miles and it wouldn't happen, but then it will appear for about 20 miles when doing speeds of 30 & 40 mph and you feel the gear change through the vehicle and normally it is smooth when it is not making the noise.

One of my friend's who is a mechanic again has said may be the back box is to big and is not allowing the exhaust to breath properly.

Apparently I am the only one complaining about this noise and I feel like when I see another KIA Brotherwood conversion, I feel I should knot on the window to see if they have the noise.
I have even called Kia head office, but they won't talk to me and have to go through my dealer. But my dealer I am with has told me they cannot tell me much because they have changed the exhaust system for the conversion, so don't know which way to turn.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi, Not having much joy from Kia or your dealer - why don't you contact your local Trading Standards Office - you might have a good case of the vehicle not being 'fit for purpose' under the Sales of Goods Act - worth a try - advice is free and sometimes a call from them to the Dealer might get things moving!
Good Luck with it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><?: PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
Well, I was in the motor trade and I have been speaking to many of my mechanics I know of and they tell me the Volkswagen does the same thing with cleaning its self in the exhaust. But they tell me that you can tell when Volkswagen is cleaning it self because the performance isn't very good for 2 miles and doesn't make the noise like I am getting.
<O:p></O:p>
But I have just read your message and I actually get the noise after I have been doing motorway work and doing a steady speeds of 80 mph, when you slow down to 40 mph or 30 mph the noise comes up like a big bore exhaust. Also I could do motorway work for 900 miles and it wouldn't happen, but then it will appear for about 20 miles when doing speeds of 30 & 40 mph and you feel the gear change through the vehicle and normally it is smooth when it is not making the noise.
One of my friend's who is a mechanic again has said may be the back box is to big and is not allowing the exhaust to breath properly.
Apparently I am the only one complaining about this noise and I feel like when I see another KIA Brotherwood conversion, I feel I should knot on the window to see if they have the noise.
<O:p></O:p>I have even called Kia head office, but they won't talk to me and have to go through my dealer. But my dealer I am with has told me they cannot tell me much because they have changed the exhaust system for the conversion, so don't know which way to turn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts