Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might have a problem with the hatch handle/lock on my 2014 Rio 1.25 VR7. It feels different when I feel underneath it to open the hatch. I am pretty sure that there used to be a rubber cover under there which was pressed to operate the catch. That seems to be missing now, although I can't be completely sure that there was one there before. It is now more awkward to operate the catch as I actually have to press the microswitch itself rather than the rubber cover over it. I assume it will also make the switch more susceptible to damp and dirt.

I have attached a photo and would be grateful if anybody could compare it to their car to confirm if the part is indeed missing. I have no idea how I would source a replacement and wouldn't be surprised if I would have to purchase a complete (expensive) new hatch handle and lock unit.

Ron

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
578 Posts
looks like the rubber has worn through, you could get some thin rubber/plastic sheet and glue it to the remaining rubber to protect the micro switch or you could ask the queston at the dealer to see what is availible.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you 'noblue', I think you could be right. I have just had another look at it and it seems that just the centre oval section has disappeared. I assumed that complete rectangular piece had fallen out. I will contact the dealer to see what can suggest.

Ron

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. I found the part number for the 'Tailgate Handle Switch Boot Release' which is 812601W220. The authentic Kia replacement part is about £60 but Ebay is awash with replica parts for a fraction of that cost. Most of them are in China, which means longer delivery times but some were located in the UK. In the end I went for one located in Manchester, although the seller is based in China. The cost was £8.09 including VAT and delivery! I ordered it on May 31 and it arrived today June 4 (not at all bad over a bank holiday.)

The quality looks fine, as far as I can tell, and it was easy to fit with the help of this video:

The hardest part was removing the trim panel as it is plastic and I didn't know how hard I could pull it without breaking something, The new part was a direct replacement for the original so there were no problems getting it to fit. Everything is now working properly and hopefully it will carry on doing so for a year or two.

Here is a link to the part which I bought:

Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts