Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if any owners of the latest model Sportage with manual transmission have any feedback as to how good the setup is, especially in terms of smoothness, clutch feel, lack of shudder, etc. Especially in terms of shudder or lack of smoothness on clutch engagement as this seems to be over-represented in terms of complaints over the longer term for Kia manual vehicles.

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had two Sportage both suffered from Clutch judder, in between had a Kuga and now on a Karoq neither of which suffer clutch judder, would like to go back to a Sportage at some point, but not if they have not fixed their clutch judder problem, have they?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Clutch judder sometimes referred to as shudder on the forum, present when pulling away in 1st gear on a manual transmission, quite commonly reported on the forum, has been described as condensation burning off the plate when cold, whatever the cause not had it on Kuga or Karoq

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Had two Sportage both suffered from Clutch judder, in between had a Kuga and now on a Karoq neither of which suffer clutch judder, would like to go back to a Sportage at some point, but not if they have not fixed their clutch judder problem, have they?
I assume you mean the new version Sportage? I don't think you will get a conclusive reply, the demonstrators are just arriving at dealerships, and as far as I know nobody has taken ownership of one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On my one 2020 1.6 crdi GTLS 48V with 6000 miles done it before but now is slowly fade away,only just noticed when is a really cold morning & damp and you don't idle for a 1 or 2 after starting the engine,but if you idle for 1 or 2 no issue.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe the mods can combine my thread into this one. It will be of benefit to anyone wondering about potential shudder in this new model.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen two videos of the manual being driven and no one has said anything negative.
The issues can take time to occur and sometimes they only occur in specific circumstances. I've seen a lot of complaints about the Picanto manual shudder, for example, yet every review or driving video shows it to be perfect (except the one or two videos specifically put out to demonstrate the issue).

So I think unfortunately it might take some time for any issues to surface - typically it seems to start happening within the first 25,000 kilometres or so if it is not happening from new.

·
Registered
38 Posts
On the two Sportage I have had the first one did it from brand-new and the second one didn't start until approximately 1500 miles in on both it never stopped once it started, so concur that it might not show for a while..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the two Sportage I have had the first one did it from brand-new and the second one didn't start until approximately 1500 miles in on both it never stopped once it started, so concur that it might not show for a while..
What year models were the previous ones that had the shudder?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2019 and 2020..a.... 2 and a GT
That is a worry as they are fairly recent. If they were 2018 or earlier it wouldn't be so much of a concern from the perspective of new model. That said, I know from the Picanto and Rio forums where this has been discussed that Kia apparently "saw the light" as to what the issue was probably just about the time your second one was on the ship to the UK (not great for you though). I am wondering if they have changed clutch suppliers since people who have bit the bullet and retrofitted other clutches (which are aparently sold to OEMs) have resolved their issues.

But I don't want to be putting a new clutch in any car that has done less than 80,000 city driving - in my book at least. The Mitsubishi Sigma I learned to drive in (1981 model) still had its original clutch when we sold it at 12 years old and with well over 130,000 kms - most of them in the city. It still felt like a brand new clutch - perfect. And myself and another sibling learned on that car too!

In my experience clutches have just gone downhill even since the early 90s onwards though there are obviously exceptions.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Judging from the various threads on this forum there does appear to be an issue, but I don't think it is unique to any specific model years, I've seen reports as early as a 2014, although most seem to be 2016 onwards. Most the reports mention the judder when the engine is cold and quiet often when conditions are damp. I've never seen any mention of a cure. For the record, I have had two Sportage's, a 2017 KX-2 2.0L and our current car 2020 GT-Line 2.0L, neither suffered from clutch judder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Judging from the various threads on this forum there does appear to be an issue, but I don't think it is unique to any specific model years, I've seen reports as early as a 2014, although most seem to be 2016 onwards. Most the reports mention the judder when the engine is cold and quiet often when conditions are damp. I've never seen any mention of a cure. For the record, I have had two Sportage's, a 2017 KX-2 2.0L and our current car 2020 GT-Line 2.0L, neither suffered from clutch judder.
Interesting , I wonder if they use a different clutch mechanism in the 2.0l models, as both mine were 1.5 petrols, would luv another Sportage but not until they cure their Clutch judder, had two with it don't want a third..

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
@bryfly I have no idea, but I can tell that both Sportage's were/are more than happy to move off on tickover with the caravan in tow, without a hint of judder. The cars towing ability was one of the reason I bought it. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Had the judder Feature 🤷‍♂️ On both Stonic & Picanto (manual). Always when cold. Found 2 ways that stopped it.
Either slowly lift clutch & not touch the accelerator ( As per @mr.macspot ) or give it a good boot full of revs when lifting clutch up fast.

Not had it in the Niro, but then again that's a DCT box.

Moral of the post... Get a AUTO 🤣

1 - 20 of 25 Posts