Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we all know the issues I have been having with my wife’s Niro PHEV. The issue with the GPS is ongoing and appears to be impacting charging in the evening as well. The dealer is tearing their hair out as Kia technical is saying the update should fix it but they cannot apply the latest updates to any MY22 Niro (HEV or PHEV) they have (they have to use the same system we have been using)..

So, has anyone with the MY22 Niro been able to apply the update?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, we all know the issues I have been having with my wife’s Niro PHEV. The issue with the GPS is ongoing and appears to be impacting charging in the evening as well. The dealer is tearing their hair out as Kia technical is saying the update should fix it but they cannot apply the latest updates to any MY22 Niro (HEV or PHEV) they have (they have to use the same system we have been using)..

Just updated a 2021 E-Niro 4+ and I have to say it looks like a huge step backwards with the (revolting) purple/pink colouring. Also seems to have more lag on input for Navigation and generally much more sluggish in use. Also seems miles and km seem to be muddled, dash is in miles but mapping in km inc distance to destination on dash and middle screen!!

Applied the My20 update as advised during a call to Kia support.

Is there a way to get rid or change the purple/pink icons and text?

Update
Also I find it hard to understand why it takes forever to download and even longer to update! Please please someone at Kia, get rid of the purple/pink !
Computer Personal computer Laptop Netbook Output device

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
I did apply the MY 22 update to mine, to see if it fixed my issue. So it does work. Even said the files were the same as already on the system, do you want to proceed. Which I did.
But I would think that the PHEV software would be different to the HEV as you will have charging info?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did apply the MY 22 update to mine, to see if it fixed my issue. So it does work. Even said the files were the same as already on the system, do you want to proceed. Which I did.
But I would think that the PHEV software would be different to the HEV as you will have charging info?
The issue I imagine is that there is something different in terms of controller units in the MY22. The issue is that the dealer cannot apply a new HEV update to a MY22 HEV or a new PHEV update to a MY22 PHEV

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
583 Posts
There are separate updates for different model years. Why don’t you try yourself? It’s quite straightforward.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are separate updates for different model years. Why don’t you try yourself? It’s quite straightforward.
You’re aware I’ve been trying exactly this for weeks right? I’m now at the stage where the dealer has confirmed he cannot update any of the MY22 Niros he has so I’m now asking if anyone has been able to update their MY22 Niro (not e-Niro).

·
Registered
583 Posts
You’re aware I’ve been trying exactly this for weeks right? I’m now at the stage where the dealer has confirmed he cannot update any of the MY22 Niros he has so I’m now asking if anyone has been able to update their MY22 Niro (not e-Niro).
Sorry I only now recognised the forum handle my bad!

Reactions: bydandie

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did try downloading the MY22 PHEV update earlier on, but updater program seemed to get stuck.
Unless you have a MY22 Niro though then the point is moot? Out of interest, did you do anything in particular to use the later model firmware?

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Unless you have a MY22 Niro though then the point is moot? Out of interest, did you do anything in particular to use the later model firmware?
I downloaded the my22 (hev) software to see if it made any difference to my issue. Strange thing was it let me install it. Just said that same version as already installed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I downloaded the my22 (hev) software to see if it made any difference to my issue. Strange thing was it let me install it. Just said that same version as already installed.
That is odd, might try to install the MY20 PHEV then?

·
Registered
312 Posts
FWIW I downloaded the MY22 PHEV update and compared it to my MY20 PHEV update I had already downloaded and they're 100% identical at a binary level apart from the .VER file and even then the only difference is that everywhere the string MY20 is replaced with MY22 and the software version has the string DE_P_22.S5W_L.001.001.211117 instead of DE_P_PE.S5W_L.001.001.211117.

So the update itself is identical, but maybe there's something in the software version number in the .VER file that the update installer doesn't like.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Just checked the HEV files

MY 22 > DE_H_22.S5W_L.001.001.211117|KM|Niro_HEV_MY_22_EU

MY 20 >DE_H_PE.S5W_L.001.001.211117|KM|Niro_HEV_MY_20_EU

Think I will keep a copy of these on my system to see if anything changes going forward.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I have a Kia e-Niro 4+, and used the updates for MY22.
At last, Kia has made the UK a member of the self-update fraternity. The whole process took about 3 hours (so patience needed). 1 hour to download to PC, 1 hour to load a USB stick (64Gb used), and 1 hour to update the car. I had reservations about the process, but the end result was almost flawless, except the speed and mileage indicators were in kms not miles. Because my car is relatively new, the pdf manual and online videos were not helpful. I found the settings eventually, but all showed miles, even the UVO app. In the end, I did a Factory Reset, and now it is back to normal. I had nothing but disdain for my old Optima Sat Nav, but so far, this Infotainment System seems to be a vast improvement.

Reactions: MettaUK

·
Registered
583 Posts
At last, Kia has made the UK a member of the self-update fraternity. The whole process took about 3 hours (so patience needed). 1 hour to download to PC, 1 hour to load a USB stick (64Gb used), and 1 hour to update the car. I had reservations about the process, but the end result was almost flawless, except the speed and mileage indicators were in kms not miles. Because my car is relatively new, the pdf manual and online videos were not helpful. I found the settings eventually, but all showed miles, even the UVO app. In the end, I did a Factory Reset, and now it is back to normal. I had nothing but disdain for my old Optima Sat Nav, but so far, this Infotainment System seems to be a vast improvement.
How did you factory reset?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’s interesting, but the issue remains with the MY22 HEV/PHEV and not the eNiro as per my OP :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
How did you factory reset?
Hi,
Factory Reset is straight forward once you know how.
Operate the Display Mode button on the steering wheel , upper left button.This gives you access to User Settings (page 5-47 in the manual) Keep clicking the button until you get to User Settings. Scroll down to reach Other Features, then select Reset, with the option of Factory Reset - Yes or No.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hi,
Factory Reset is straight forward once you know how.
Operate the Display Mode button on the steering wheel , upper left button.This gives you access to User Settings (page 5-47 in the manual) Keep clicking the button until you get to User Settings. Scroll down to reach Other Features, then select Reset, with the option of Factory Reset - Yes or No.
That resets the user settings in the cluster on mine. That’s even stated in the user manual.
to reset the head unit Back to factory I use the hidden engineering menu.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts