Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently playing with a 160gb USB hard drive, connected to the USB port..
Has anyone had much success. It's working, but i'm struggling with navigating the folder structure.

Also, before I tried a HDD, I tried a usb stick. The usb stick would start playing from where it left off, provided that i didn't remove the stick with the radio switched on.

The HDD starts playing from the first track when I switch the ignition back on.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not much help but iphone via USB starts from track 1. Maybe its something to do with the format of the drive.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've come to the conclusion that a hard disk drive, probably won't work.
When a hard drive is powered off, the heads park.
I'm guessing this is why track 1 stars to play when it's powered back up.
The HDD is doing it's own re-initialisation.

Where as a USB stick has no moving parts.

I am going to try it formatted as 32gb, but to be honest, if I do this, then I'm probably better off with a memory stick anyway.
Seems a little pointless to have 160gb and only use 32

·
Registered
137 Posts
What's up with using a 16gb USB stick? I'm using a 3gb stick on my optima and 3gb is a lot of music, or if 16gb isn't enough why not have a few of them?

When would u ever need to see 160gb worth of music? That is an insane amount lol

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 160gb drive is one I have kicking around doing nothing, and seems a waste not to use it for something constructive.

I can use my iphone, 80gb ipod, or 16gb memory stick.

However, the issues I have.

I wouldn't want to leave the ipod in the car. Although I could probably route the cable and hide it behind the console, but then I wouldn't be able to plug the iphone in.

16gb Iphone is already running out of space, TomTom, Photo's, Apps , so I have limited space for albums. I can probably squeeze about 30 on, and then it would be full. Whilst 30 albums is more than enough for a normal person, I'm lazy and would probably never get around to changing them.

I've seen a really tiny 16gb USB stick on Fleabay. Unobtrusive, black (so camoflaged) and quite reasonably priced. And will fit more than enough music to keep me happy for a few months.

I'm still trialling my 1gb memory stick to see how it performs, but will probably be going down the stick route.
Edited by: keat99

1 - 7 of 7 Posts