Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 2010 torque converter 4 speed box, the one with the dipstick. Is the original fluid red? Mine is a sort of darkish amber colour, probably not been changed for many years. I was wondering if anyone knows where the drain plug is and I will start a draining and topping up process. Yes I know you can't drain it all at once.

I used to own a Citroën Bx automatic and did that one. The fluid was well and truly toast when I bought it and over a period of months I changed the fluid from a pea green foul smelling sludge to something resembling proper atf. After a couple of sessions the improved gearchange was really noticeable. The changes were a lot crisper and it didn't hang on in the gears. So please don't tell me the fluid lasts the life of the car that is utter bunkum.

Thank-you.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
... don't tell me the fluid lasts the life of the car that is utter bunkum.
Filled for life means the life of the warranty, according to the sales people, not the life of the car.
Since it has a dip stick you are in luck. The oil type should be in the user manual. Could be SP-III or dexron III, not sure. A vacuum pump is very practical for your method. I have not found metal on any drain plugs recently so the vacuum pump gets used wherever possible nowadays.
The drain plug, by the way should be easy enough to spot, often has a flater head.
I'm pretty sure it should be red, the fluid , not the plug

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jack. Filled for the life of the warrant only, well I certainly didn't know that. I used to own a manual vacuum pump but we downsized last year and it was one of the items that didn't make it. Looks like getting another one 😏

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update, I've not been on here for ages. I have done four oil drain and top ups, two litres at a time. Today the oil is red but I'm going to do one last change in a couple of hundred miles just to make sure it's really clean.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting I'm now getting shifting issues. I remember resetting the gearbox on the Caren's by pulling the room fuse under the bonnet for a couple of hours. If I can find the correct fuse I'll try it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.