Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the comments on hard wiring a dashcam and thought my experiences may be of interest.

I used a Nextbase hard wire kit to power a 322GW in my Niro 3 (2020 model) . The kit comes with 'piggy back' connectors to fit into the fuse box in a circuit controlled by the ignition switch. Unfortunately, the kit only provides larger ATC and ATS fuse connectors rather than the smaller Micro2 sized fuses used by Kia on the Niro. I was able to purchase a Micro2 'piggy back' connector on Amazon but was unable to find the 2A fuse required for the Nextbase dashcam. It appears that the smallest fuse rating available for Micro2 is 5A so I purchased an inline fuse holder and 2A fuses from Halfords together with bullett connectors to fit to the ends of the inline fuse holder.

I used the heated steering wheel circuit as the source of supply. The 15A fuse fits into the 'piggy back'connector to maintain the circuit, together with a 5A fuse for the cable providing the new supply. The inline fuse/holder is connected between this cable and the Nextbase power supply cable.This cable can be hidden in the gap between the headlining and the top of the windscreen and then behind the lip of the rubber door seal down to the fuse box.The excess cable has been cable tied to an adjacent bracket and the earth cable secured to a metal stud on the bracket.

You can of course use the standard power cable, which is fused at 2A, but this does utilise the only availabe outlet and means the cable is more difficult to hide. Overall, I feel it was worth the trouble for the neater installation.

I did speak to my dealer, Hendy Kia Portsmouth, for advice on the best fuse circuit to use but they just advised any switched circuit. Also Kia Parts Dept could only supply 7.5A fuses and above so maybe that was why one dealer was reluctant to carry out a hard wire installation.

I hope this is helpful to anyone contemplating a hard wire installation.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hello BazE, TYVM for your detailed experience. I was the OP and my query relates specifically to the E Niro.. Whilst I agree entirely with you that it must be possible to find a fuse or connector, my dealer , & more specifically the manager, says his advice is NOT to fit one to an EV. I picked up my E Niro this afternoon and he has promised to research it further.

·
Registered
14 Posts
"my dealer , & more specifically the manager, says his advice is NOT to fit one to an EV."

Strange as Kia offer a Philips dash cam as an accessory.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
"my dealer , & more specifically the manager, says his advice is NOT to fit one to an EV."

Strange as Kia offer a Philips dash cam as an accessory.
But not on the E-Nero. Try running a build on one. It's not there.

It is a very common issue with EV's that dealers do not want to fit. Even Halford's won't.
Wonder is the worry is about the 12V battery and it's lack of power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have connected my dash cam to the 12V in the front roof-light-panel, my dash cam has a setting, that it switches off, if the voltage is below e.g. 12V and that is important.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Philips dash cam is still offers as an accessory for the 2020 e-Niro. I found it on the very first page about the e-Niro on the line with the E-Niro badge, next to Specification. I'll ask my dealer, mind you the Philips dash cams don't get very good write-ups. I'll be bringing my Nextbase from my old Lexus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts