Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. had a 13 plate city picante for a few months. I've started to see a problem where on first start up of the day if I put the car into 1st or reverse there is resistance followed by a clunking sound before moving off. It's only really on the first start of the day and doesn't do it again if I use the car the same day, maybe something is seizing up overnight??

Any ideas what this could be before I get it looked at? cheers

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Are handbrake pads sticking on disc when releasing handbrake. Park overnight with brake off and leave in gear and see what happens.

·
Registered
95 Posts
both my kia can do this if been raining ,seems rust on the disc ,but free up straight away .

·
Registered
418 Posts
As Birdman posted - we always leave handbrake 'off' when parked at home.
The sportage is on a slight grassy slope and has a slightly raised bit of ground which acts as a natural wheel chock(it would only hit our wooden fence anyway :) ).
Our Vitara is on a slight tarmac slope so we have a large chock shaped stone against one of the front wheels (it would only roll a few inches into the kerb anyway :) ).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Handbrake sticking. It's due to discs at the back.
It's just a feature not a fault.
if it's likely to be freezing overnight I tend to leave the handbrake off, in gear & chock a wheel to stop it potentially freezing on.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Park in gear and leave handbrake off. Standard on pretty much all cars now given the disks & often sintered pads with a metal content.

Just look at the disks after parking overnight.... Nice rusty colour.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Faced this the other day after heavy frost. Car stalled against the frozen handbrake and boy did it smell of burning when I applied some 'wellie' to free it. Will certainly be using Handbrake off Gear selected parking in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts