Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm generally very pleased with my 2007 1.6 Manual Petrol LS Ceed. One thing that has been bugging me though is the handbrake / parking brake: I have to pull it up very far to properly keep the vehicle stationary on anything other than completely flat ground.

I wonder if this is normal, or whether it is a sign of wear? I see also in the Kia Owners Manual that it advises pulling the handbrake up until it doesn't go any further, without first depressing the button. This is contrary to the way I was taught to apply a handbrake. Doesn't this kind of behaviour damage the cable?

Also are there any easy checks I can do for wear, as I'd rather not pay labour for someone to tell me its fine?

·
Registered
245 Posts
If it is working fine for now then I would just point it out to be double checked / tightened next time you take your car for a service.

If you are feeling nervous about it, don't forget you can also leave your car in gear (forward or reverse) depending on where parked as a backup should the handbrake come loose.

Agree with you - I was always taught not to just pull the handbrake straight up with that horrid clicking ratchet noise. Instead depress the button to raise it, then release button and pull to tighten with the last couple of clicks.

If you are feeling nervous that the handbrake isn't performing correctly then obviously get it checked out - probably only needs tightening/adjusting.

Edited by: micman

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine used to do this, until I had it adjusted at the service.
I also find that if I put my foot on the footbrake and pull the handbrake, then release thefootbrake there is still another click to be had from the handbrake.

Many-a-time I found the car rolling away down the slightest incline, with me chasing after it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys. I have a question:

to release parking brake (hand-brake) I need to use two hands (I can't say I am weak person :)). Do I need to ask dealer to have a look at it? Or this is not a big problem to think about?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts