Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
2006 XT 2.5.
I had a problem where the handbrake handle came up almost vertical and refused to release. I've got it booked into the garage but I think I've temporarily fixed it by twanging the cables around the back axle.
Is the pivot that is often mentioned on the back axle itself? The main cable comes down and connects to the right brake, then there is a cable going to the left brake. Where the two cables meet is a bracket about 40cm from the right brake. It appears to be rusted solid although after spraying it with silicone lubricant the brake seems to work.

·
Registered
'05 Sorento xse auto
811 Posts
Yes, you are correct, most 4 x 4's have a similar design and because of it's location, the pivot is often overlooked..it needs to be checked and lubricated regularly or the n/s handbrake will stay engaged as the 'pull' will not be released?

·
Registered
'05 Sorento xse auto
811 Posts
If you hold the cable on the pivot assembly that's mounted to the back axle casing, you should be able to move it left and right a little bit? pull on the wire cable going into the clevis on each rear backplate and you should feel a little movement showing the rear brakeshoes are moving?...if you can't move the the pivot on the back axle?.. it's easy enough to undo the bolt and get it free again...if you lift up the back wheels, you can check that they turn relatively easily in neutral ,bearing in mind that you're turning the diff and propshaft?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that was very simple. I only had to crack the bolt open a 1/4 of a turn and it started operating. I loosened it off quite a way and sprayed it with silicone lubricant then did it back up whilst getting someone to operate the handbrake. Brakes on both sides now!.
It's still going to the garage to be checked over as the lever still sticks on a bit and has a spot of resistance halfway on. Plus it needs adjusting and with my arthritic hands I can't get the wheels off and on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.