Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi how is the hand brake adjusted? Have fitted new cables and tightened them up by adjuster under car but the hand brake still hs to be pulled up to it's max for them to work. Have NCT (MOT) test on friday so need to get the adjustment right by then. Any help appreciated

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dave Guest said:
Hi how is the hand brake adjusted? Have fitted new cables and tightened them up by adjuster under car but the hand brake still hs to be pulled up to it's max for them to work. Have NCT (MOT) test on friday so need to get the adjustment right by then. Any help appreciated

Hi

I'm assuming from your post that you have changed the 2 cables from the horseshoe back. If so you need to back off all the cables until they are slack(not too slack) Adjust the short front cable by turning the 10mm(I think) about 1/3 of the way up and then tighten the long cable going to the rear brake until you can lock that brake up solid, then back it off just so the wheel just spins freely , then use the adjuster on the short cable to lock up that wheel solid and then back it off until the wheel just spins freely. Then push the brake peddle down once that will take the slack up, release the brake peddle and then count the clicks on the hand brake you are looking for around 6-8 and the wheels locking solid( I normally try to set off in first gear if it won't move then its ok) Let the handbrake off and make sure the wheels are not binding. If it is still not holding or coming up too far adjust the short front cable slightly making sure the wheels spin freely when the handbrake is not on.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi, assuming also that the shoes weren't replaced, did you manually adjust the shoes when you replaced the drums? The shoes should be adjusted so that the drums only slip on, then pressing the brake pedal (handbrake cable not attatched to the handbrake lever at this time) to centralise the shoes. Adjustment of the shoes is complete when they have been adjusted as far as possible without binding on the drums. Handbrake cable adjustment is as Bruno described.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi lads thanks for the advice, is there not a screw/boltonthe handbrake itself that also adjusts the brake

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dave Guest said:
Hi lads thanks for the advice, is there not a screw/boltonthe handbrake itself that also adjusts the brake
It would be worth your while buying a disc off Bruno (See top of Topics, the one with about 30+ pages).
This has exploded digrams of breaks frontand backand what to do. The disc has maany many other things on that Bruno has collected together over time and you can print out the pages to work off too.
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
390 Posts
stevegx said:
Dave Guest said:
It would be worth your while buying a disc off Bruno (See top of Topics, the one with about 30+ pages).
This has exploded digrams of breaks frontand backand what to do. The disc has maany many other things on that Bruno has collected together over time and you can print out the pages to work off too.
Steve Gx Blackpool
Sorry, topic now at bottom of first page tiltled 'Manual'
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
399 Posts
stevegx said:
stevegx said:
Dave Guest said:
Steve Gx Blackpool
Hi, Yes there is an adjustment on the handbrake cable, but like I said, the handbrake cable needs to be slackened off, shoes manually adjusted in the drums (both sides need to be adjusted the same, this is done by lifting the handbrake so that the shoes are just acting on the drum and checking the drag is equal on both sides) then, adjust the handbrake cable to the required clicks.

Sorry, topic now at bottom of first page tiltled 'Manual'
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dave Guest said:
Hi bought a disc from Bruno worked great for a while now pc won't recognise it
Dave I've sent you a PM regarding this , let me know which version of the manual you had and I'' send another one to you.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Anyone who's had a manual from me if you have trouble with it at any time just email/PM me and I'll send a new copy out. I would suggest that you copy the files to your hard drive and keep the disc safe some place as they do tend to get scratched in general us.

Ps .I have a list of names of the people who have had a manual

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dave Guest said:
Hi lads thanks for help car passed it's NCT
Hi
great news, the handbrakes are a real pain the ass to do and get right, I spent hours working out how to do the first one but once figured its do able in a short time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts