Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take it the HAC is always on right? Can't say I can get mine to work?

Am I missing something obvious here? do certain conditions need to be met?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My Leon has hill assist, its worked by MY brain, My left foot and MY right foot and costs nowt. If I get it wrong I swear like a trooper at myself and punch myself in the face for being a total a**hole. That costs me nothing too and I dont have to go back to my maker if I continue to make the same mistake cos he and she are dead I'm afraid.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Davy...M4Trundler...come on Lads, you cant stop the march of progress.

M4Trundler dont you ride an electric Push bike.....

And Davy, YourLeonwill also have lots of modern features that you do use...Air con, electric windows and so.

Come to Yorkshire and i will let you have a go in my 1967 Morris minorconvertiblewith Drum Brakes all round and cross ply tyres...Oh it is a posh one though as its got a heater, the first owner splashed out on it as an option the Posh Snob!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Och boz I was down in Thirsk yesterday laying flowers on me mums grave, I could have popped over for a coffee and a gander at your Moggy. Where abouts are you in Yorkshire ?
Oh by the way I got 47mpg and that was on a 450mile trip mostly motorway sitting 80 to 90mph. I got 46.5mpg on the way down and the daughter drove it home and got 47.7mpg doing much the same speeds. I didn't have aircon on or played with my leccy windows
. Tho' it was good to have MFD that gives you mpg readouts.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Near Leeds Davy, Although.......Im working from Home today so just went out to start the old girl as ihaven'tthis week and....The battery is dead...I hate that Murphy and his Law!

Will have to get her re-commissionedfor the summer, Got a new roof to go on her so will treat WestYorkshireto someproperCo2emissionsin the coming months.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
big_boz said:
Davy...M4Trundler...come on Lads, you cant stop the march of progress.

M4Trundler dont you ride an electric Push bike.....

And Davy, YourLeonwill also have lots of modern features that you do use...Air con, electric windows and so.

Come to Yorkshire and i will let you have a go in my 1967 Morris minorconvertiblewith Drum Brakes all round and cross ply tyres...Oh it is a posh one though as its got a heater, the first owner splashed out on it as an option the Posh Snob!
I've got an electric bike, but I don't ride it. I was in the process of converting it from lead acid batteries to NiMH to give it more range etc, but it's another one of those projects sitting in the garage waiting for me to have time to do something with it...

Nothing wrong with electric bikes. Most trips are less than 5 miles and could easily be done by bike at a fraction of the cost and environmental damage of a car...but the government gets no road tax from them and almost no fuel duty, so they're not interested.

Anyway, all these things like hill assist. Is it the march of progress? Or are we just regressing into useless numpties who can't even do the most basic of things?

I just want a car with a decent amount of power, handles reasonably well and gives reasonable fuel economy and I want it to be reliable. I can see things like an MPG computer being useful, but HAC, ISG etc, etc, no way!

The great thing about your moggy is that if something goes wrong you can generally fix it with a few basic tools and a can of WD. Now you need a laptop and a PhD in electrical engineering and software design. Then more often than not, an expensive bit of electronics goes when the car is about 10 years old and even though it's mechanically sound, it's beyond economical repair and it's a scrapper.

·
Registered
525 Posts
M4trundler said:
Nothing wrong with electric bikes. Most trips are less than 5 miles and could easily be done by bike at a fraction of the cost and environmental damage of a car...but the government gets no road tax from them and almost no fuel duty, so they're not interested.

2 Things.....Why on earth would you want to complicate a push bike with a motor and add weight to cycle less than 5 miles? exactly the same point as you are making on the cars with electronic aids......although i do think cycling should be incentivised more than it is now, and if electrics get people on bikes then fair enough.

The government actually offer a few incentives to cyclists, both of mine were bought on the cycle to work scheme, where there is no income tax paid on money spent buying a bike for thefirst£1000, so in other words 40% off thepurchaseprice.....And a little known fact, you can claim back 20p per mile from HMRC for cycling to work provided itinstto where you are contracted to work, which i do a fair bit of.

M4trundler said:
The great thing about your moggy is that if something goes wrong you can generally fix it with a few basic tools and a can of WD. Now you need a laptop and a PhD in electrical engineering and software design. Then more often than not, an expensive bit of electronics goes when the car is about 10 years old and even though it's mechanically sound, it's beyond economical repair and it's a scrapper.

I actually just went and found the crank handle and got the old girl fired up off the hand start,haven'tdone that in a while, my neighbour came out to have a look, he said he had never seen anyone do it before!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
2 Things.....Why on earth would you want to complicate a push bike with a motor and add weight to cycle less than 5 miles? exactly the same point as you are making on the cars with electronic aids......although i do think cycling should be incentivised more than it is now, and if electrics get people on bikes then fair enough.

The government actually offer a few incentives to cyclists, both of mine were bought on the cycle to work scheme, where there is no income tax paid on money spent buying a bike for thefirst£1000, so in other words 40% off thepurchaseprice.....And a little known fact, you can claim back 20p per mile from HMRC for cycling to work provided itinstto where you are contracted to work, which i do a fair bit of.
Most of us can handle 5 miles no trouble on the flat, but if you've got a strong headwind or you've got to get up steep hills...then do a full day's work, then it's nice to have a bit of a power assist. What you say about the bike buying scheme is true, but 40% off still leaves you with a lot to spend on something that might get pinched very easily. Bikes should be available for free on the NHS, as the cost of treating type 2diabetes for 1 year far outweighs the cost of a bike many times over.

Didn't know about the 20p per mile claim for cycle expenses. They keep that quiet don't they?

Hope you haven't broken your thumb on your cranking handle!

Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
525 Posts
M4trundler said:
Hope you haven't broken your thumb on your cranking handle!

1st rule of Crank start......Dont talk about Crank start

2nd rule of Crank Start.......Thumbs on the Outside!

On the subject of the 20p per mile, i have had a look at the form, and i think it might count for any cylce based work journeys that qualify for the 20p per mile, i have asked my local HMRC office to confirm......

Can you imagine what a "NHS" free bike would be like,m have you seen the glasses that are available free on the NHS!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts